Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Student

FlashForge Creator Pro, can get filament to stick to table

Hey all,
    Total newb here. I just bought a Flash Forge Creator Pro and am trying to run the 20mm calibration cube as a first part. I have been trying unsuccessfully for two days now to get a line to stick. I have gone to the control panel and pre heated it to 220 for filament and 115 for bed temps. I am running the ABS that came with the printer. I have calibrated the table with a sheet of paper as well. I just cannot get a line to stick to the table. I have tried Painters tape, but to no avail. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks!

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    you've used decent blue painters tape.
    I had this problem with abs. Only way I could get it to stick reliably was to use a raft.

What you actually need is to slow the first layer down to about 10% of the the rest of the print. That's one reason why rafts work so well. They always go down really really slowly.

Also 220 is very low for abs, at that temp it'll be fairly stiff and unsticky. Try hotter. 230, 235 and 240.

What software are your using for the slicer ?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I never had good results with tape, Glue is an option.

Student
    I am trying to run with the Slicr slicing program, it just sounded good.

Also, I have tried to heat the table up to 125 and 245 for the extruder, just to give it a go. Unfortunately according to the sceen on the front of the printer it looks like it tries to cool everything down to about 100 table and 200 extruder. The printer seems to position the head at about 0-x and 0-y and hold there until the temps drop, I am guessing that is a big part of my problem. Sometimes it helps to walk away from things for a while and clear your head. Will I have to tap in to the G-code and raise the temps to start printing at?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    I never had good results with tape, Glue is an option.
    Thanks, I was going to give that a go last night but once I found the glue stick in the house it turned out to be pretty old and dried up. I will probably stop tonight and grab a new one.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Just get the Elmers or equivalent brand. The big mega sticks are the best value and coverage area. I believe I'm using Hercules Glue with great results.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    umm, how are you using slic3r ?
    By default it simply won't work with a flashforge x or pro.

And I never had bad results with tape. But I don't use cheap tape.

The glue stick on pet or kapton tape works well. It can sometimes be a problem getting the print off the bed.

But at the moment I'm leaning more towards how you're using slic3r.

Quote Originally Posted by ApocalypseCow View Post
    Hey all,
    Total newb here. I just bought a Flash Forge Creator Pro and am trying to run the 20mm calibration cube as a first part. I have been trying unsuccessfully for two days now to get a line to stick. I have gone to the control panel and pre heated it to 220 for filament and 115 for bed temps. I am running the ABS that came with the printer. I have calibrated the table with a sheet of paper as well. I just cannot get a line to stick to the table. I have tried Painters tape, but to no avail. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks!
    Painters tape for ABS? Ditch that right now. If you want ABS to stick then use either kapton tape or slurry. Slurry is an abs-acetone mixture. 1/4 cup acetone to about 20-25cm ABS filament; let the ABS dissolve nicely in the acetone and use a brush to 'paint' a layer on your HBP once its hot.

Temperature-wise you want to aim for 230 for the extruders and 95 for the HBP. Let the cabin warm up nicely and make sure everything is closed.

Start with Makerware as it exports x3g directly. And set your feeds low. No higher than 50 (I usually set my first layer speed to 20)

Newb here too. Just got mine about a week ago but mine came with what looks like BuildTak already installed. I have better adhesion with ABS for smaller parts but have had a few larger ones break loose in the middle of the print. Didn't know if I could use the hair spray or ABS Slurry on the BuildTak to help it.

Quote Originally Posted by super-d View Post
    Newb here too. Just got mine about a week ago but mine came with what looks like BuildTak already installed. I have better adhesion with ABS for smaller parts but have had a few larger ones break loose in the middle of the print. Didn't know if I could use the hair spray or ABS Slurry on the BuildTak to help it.
    ABS warps if not printed in a fully closed cabin. Keep the cabin warm and it should improve. Note though that doing large prints in ABS can be tricky due to the material's shrinkage. Do-able but tricky.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast