Close

Post Why is 3D printing not already in our homes?

The other day I was asking myself why 3D printing (from a technical point of view)isn't already a mainstream technology. What is preventing it from booming? What is the problem with the printers sold by Printrbot or Makerbot?
    I know the obvious answer is because people don't feel the need for it, but if the technology was marketed properly I am pretty sure its popularity would rocket (simple example: you are missing knife and forks for a dinner you are hosting if you had a 3d printer you print them and have them overnight).
    Until now I know that software was also a problem, CAD isn't very user friendly however companies such as Shapeways and 3-Sweep are really pushing towards eliminating the expertise barrier.
    This is what I think and was wondering what you guys had to say about this?

Ease of use is still a big issue. You can't just buy a $500 printer and use it straight out of the box consistently.. you have to fiddle, tweak, adjust settings, test.. it's a tedious process for even those of us who are very technically minded. You can spend $2k+ on a makerbot and still have the same issues.

The next problem you already touched on.. people don't know how to model stuff. Thingiverse and the like are obviously helping in that regard.. but what happens when somebody who can't build 3d models needs a specific thing for themselves? In your example you mentioned a knife and fork.. what if you want them to match what you have? You still need modeling skills to take full advantage of even the best printers out there.

Kyle

Engineer
    Even if it's not mainstream, I would be against it. There will be an increased of power consumption per home. That is something I don't want to see, considering the fact we're in crisis in the oil industries. The amount of oil left won't last much longer, certain source are predicting that by 2030 we're out of oil.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Not every household has a vise or handsaw or router... or a paper printer; why would every household need a 3d printer?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    As mentioned, peoples' skill and knowledge will factor heavily into this. I do foresee though, a shapeways style store opening in a lot of places. People can design or find an object they need, and then go pick it up later that day.

I'm not too worried about power consumption from printers tipping us over. They're not running that much (at least the majority of us don't run them constantly, I assume). When the oil prices start to skyrocket due to decreasing supply, the energy companies will make the necessary switch to other energy forms. This isn't blind faith in the major energy companies, but faith in the human consumer demanding it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    As mentioned, peoples' skill and knowledge will factor heavily into this. I do foresee though, a shapeways style store opening in a lot of places. People can design or find an object they need, and then go pick it up later that day.

I'm not too worried about power consumption from printers tipping us over. They're not running that much (at least the majority of us don't run them constantly, I assume). When the oil prices start to skyrocket due to decreasing supply, the energy companies will make the necessary switch to other energy forms. This isn't blind faith in the major energy companies, but faith in the human consumer demanding it.

i think the one thing holding it back is that there isnt a great all in one system to scan an object and print from that scan. Not super reliably yet anyway.
    like if customer 1 breaks an oven knob and has no idea how to run CAD, he will never buy one... but if customer 1 had a scanner and put said knob in, and out came a new printed knob. well now that would be something

Quote Originally Posted by k2kyo View Post
    Ease of use is still a big issue. You can't just buy a $500 printer and use it straight out of the box consistently.. you have to fiddle, tweak, adjust settings, test.. it's a tedious process for even those of us who are very technically minded. You can spend $2k+ on a makerbot and still have the same issues.

The next problem you already touched on.. people don't know how to model stuff. Thingiverse and the like are obviously helping in that regard.. but what happens when somebody who can't build 3d models needs a specific thing for themselves? In your example you mentioned a knife and fork.. what if you want them to match what you have? You still need modeling skills to take full advantage of even the best printers out there.

Kyle
    +1

Ease of use for your regular consumer... both for softare and hardware. Availability of content/parts to print is another issue. You need to know how to use some sort of CAD/3D software to be able to design what you want before you can be able to print it. Then you need to make sure that you have the correct filament... setup your printer, remember to level your print plate, set correct temperature, flow, support, raft or no raft, etc.

This is not plug and play.

For some this is just a toy to play with... for others, it is a great tool... and like tools, not everyone needs one...

I got it to encourage my kids to create... to expand their horizon... oh, and to print that enclosure box that I needed for my DRO setup, lol