Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Makerware Desktop Updated

Hi,

I know some of you hate the newer makerware desktop, but the current version (3.7) is actually quite awesome, there is a whole load of new features, as well as customising every aspect of the print including fan control, type of infill, first layer temps and thinkness. im giving it a go now.

one thing i am deffo trying in the next few days it the bridging option (i think to allow support on bridging, where it may previously not have done so), will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Hi,

I know some of you hate the newer makerware desktop, but the current version (3.7) is actually quite awesome, there is a whole load of new features, as well as customising every aspect of the print including fan control, type of infill, first layer temps and thinkness. im giving it a go now.

one thing i am deffo trying in the next few days it the bridging option (i think to allow support on bridging, where it may previously not have done so), will report back.

Overall, I like it. One thing I had happen was when printing four duplicate objects, it tries to print them all the way individually. It prints the first one normally and the other three are a mass of filament. Printing two works fine and does it layer by layer. I'm not sure if it was the change or not, since I hadn't done that item before.

Yes, I've been using the new Makerbot software for the last month and it's worked great for me. With the correct sailfish EEPROM files downloaded, I can update firmware settings directly in Makerbot, it recognizes the device (once I changed the name to something shorter), and now that you have a helpful GUI to create/change custom profile settings, you can actually do the advanced adjustments you need in a snap (right now I'm printing a mesh basket that needed 0.2mm extra restart distance).

I haven't tried a dual extrusion print yet though.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    sounds interesting.

But does it work if you don't update your firmware ?

I don't know to be honest. My printer came with Sailfish 7.7 installed so I haven't needed to update it. All I had to do was download the sailfish info files from thingiverse and drop them into the correct folder

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    Hi,

I can set a separate first layer thickness?! If its true then huzzah. That was the driving reason behind me trying to use Slic3r. Downloading!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    I can set a separate first layer thickness?! If its true then huzzah. That was the driving reason behind me trying to use Slic3r. Downloading!!
    Alas, twas not to be

Although 3.7 is an improvement in that it now has a decent editor buit-in. No more proftweak needed...

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Strangely enough, 3.7 profiles don't have a setting for FeetstockMultiplier. It is in the text editor though. Nice improvement but I hear compatibility with older printers (Replicator Dual, Rep 2/2x and Clones of the Rep Dual) is waning. So use with caution...

Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Strangely enough, 3.7 profiles don't have a setting for FeetstockMultiplier. It is in the text editor though. Nice improvement but I hear compatibility with older printers (Replicator Dual, Rep 2/2x and Clones of the Rep Dual) is waning. So use with caution...
    Didn't even notice the feedstock muliplier thing...

And I haven't used it. In fact I unistalled it immediately and re-installed Makerware...

Technologist
    Do different versions of Makerware play nicely together on the same computer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast