Close

Thread: had an idea...

had an idea...

So i was looking into the auto bed leveling and had an idea, not sure if there is already a thread about this, but instead of having the z axis constantly in motion to compensate for an unlevel bed, what about using micro stepper motors to adjust the bed instead of screws, and thumb screws? Just an Idea....

micro stepper motor.jpg

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I believe some printer's already have this, and IIRC, they're notoriously unreliable.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Like nearly anything, this can be done well or it can be done poorly.

It all depends on the expertise, time, money and actual goals of the project (reliable functionality vs buzzwords for the website).

Senior Engineer
    Those steppers do not have enough holding torque to hold a bed. I use those for the auto focus mechanism I made for my laser cutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TkQ8bnXQ-Y

To me the bed levelling is totally over engineered. I made an auto level for my CNC cutter and it didn't do anything at the bed, it did some measurements of how much it was out over the area I was cutting and from that got correction factors (an equation actually) for anywhere within the cut area, that was used to make modifications to the Gcode to cope with a non level bed.

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    Well that's an interesting thought. Are you actually going to give this idea a shot? I think you should. I'd be curious to see how it comes out.

it might be something i try. i will admit, i am not the best at coding so that is going to be my big hurdle