Close

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar

2015 openscad versus 2014 version.

So I keep running into issues with the latest openscad when generating models with a fair few number of spheres and facets.
    basically it crashes.

I'm currently trying to replicate a golfball, which is the start of custom made dimpled sling glande moulds.
    Code's pretty easy. But with the 2015 openscad it'll just crash with more than 10 facets and more than about 30 dimples in the sphere (just a translated smaller sphere).

So i decided to switch to the previous openscad version 2014.

And while it does take a lot (hours) longer to f5 render - it WILL render them.
    Haven't tried an f6 yet. But even the f5 will crash 2015.

So anyone else having problems with the new openscad crashing on certain models - try loading the previous one.

Most things work just fine on the 2015 version.
    But I am doing an increasing number of models with loops and a lot of facets and it's just pitiful for those.
    Really doesn't like loops. rendering slows right down and often just crashes.

Yeah I reckon for the full mould I'll probably need to leave the final render running at least overnight. But if it works - who cares :-) I only need to render once ad export for each mould.

nah still crashes. just at slightly higher facet counts. Going to see if I can figure out how this child thing works. And try and get round the facet issue.
    Really is a bugger that there are such basic limitations on what is an otherwise remarkable piece of software.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-08-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Did you try defining a module that references children? I think that is very likely to solve your problem.