Close

Add Roob0481 on Thingiverse

Broken nozzle threads

Ok like a good rookie I learned the hard way that attempting to remove a nozzle cold is a good way to increase your chances of snapping the nozzle off and leaving the threads still lodged in the printer. Does anyone have any advice or system for removing the lodged threads? Thank you.

Senior Engineer
    At worst it's the same as any broken bolt but there is a good chance that if you heat the head you will be able to unscrew the bits of thread, no damage done.

Find something that fits up its hole before you start, small drill bit or whatever so that you can try to turn it when it is hot.

[QUOTE=Mjolinor;60022]At worst it's the same as any broken bolt but there is a good chance that if you heat the head you will be able to unscrew the bits of thread, no damage done.

Find something that fits up its hole before you start, small drill bit or whatever so that you can try to turn it when it is hot.[/QUOTE

Will do and thank you for the advice.

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    Not while cold? Seems a bit silly to me, as cold metal shrinks which should make unscrewing the nozzle easier. I've redone my nozzles 3 times, all while cold. No problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    Not while cold? Seems a bit silly to me, as cold metal shrinks which should make unscrewing the nozzle easier. I've redone my nozzles 3 times, all while cold. No problems at all.
    Well in this particular incident I actually forgot to heat my nozzle prior to removal and it broke. However, I like to consider the variables in any situation. It could've broke due to having inferior quality. It could've broke because I was a bit rough with the torque. The theory, fact, myth, old wife's tale, or whatever you want to call it, behind heating prior to removal is that the heat will soften or loosen up any residue or build up that may be on the threads. Also heating will expand the area where the threads are seated, which in turn should make it easier for one to loosen the nozzle and decrease the chances of breakage. Maybe you have the touch for removing cold nozzles.

Well after I remove the broken threads and replace the nozzle, I have to remove the other nozzle that is clogged. I may get risky and try a cold removal. Either way I'll report back w/my findings and/or results. Thank you gentlemen for your input.

Technologist
    Do you know what an ez-out is? They are designed to remove bolts with the heads broken off.

Normally you'd have to drill a hole down the middle of the broken bolt (the hard part), but with the nozzle you already have a hole.

If you don't know what it is, go to any automotive store and ask for it. Tell them the size of the hole (~1.75mm)

You can probably also get them at most hardware stores.

[QUOTE=Roob0481;60048]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    At worst it's the same as any broken bolt but there is a good chance that if you heat the head you will be able to unscrew the bits of thread, no damage done.

Find something that fits up its hole before you start, small drill bit or whatever so that you can try to turn it when it is hot.[/QUOTE

Will do and thank you for the advice.

Senior Engineer
    Don't use an eazyout untlil all else fails. Being brass and thin the eazyout stands a good chance of spreading the remains of the nozzle and then you will have to drill it out.

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    I've rebuilt cars and trucks from the ground up. I understand with mechanical parts, anything can happen.

Ok so after attempting to remove the lodged broken threads both when hot and cold I was unsuccessful. It wasn't until I put a few small drops of oil around the base of the threads on both ends that I was able to get it out w/ease immediately.

Ok so I had to remove my nozzle to clear another blockage, this time I did it slowly and cold. All went well, so cold or hot, it still works.