Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    given that a model could be printed hollow or with any number of shells and % infill.
    Surely it would make more sense to charge based on plastic used and time to print ?
    The only way i can see to do it is to work out the most it will cost and charge that.
    But setting a cost per cm3 is the same regardless of how much infill you use. The print cost will increase at a higher volume and decrease at a lower volume; the cost per cm3 is static.

I have gotten quite a bit of work through 3D Hubs. Ultimately the clients got hold of me via my website and we could get to the details like infill. If not then I calculate on the solid part.

Technician
    I tried to set up my hub. My picture of marvin WON'T upload. My contact says there's a known issue with Mac computers. I'll try again, just disheartened that I tried, and tried, and it took quite a bit of prodding on my part to get an answer out of anyone there.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    this is too easy :-)
    My contact says there's a known issue with Mac computers.
    Other than the fact that they're utter crap ?
    :-)
    Well apparently I did manage to upload the pics in the right place - yeh !
    So my workshop is now an official 3dhubs hub :-)

Now I guess I need to add this fact to a whole bunch of stuff.
    I suppose for repeat orders you bypass 3d hubs ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I suppose for repeat orders you bypass 3d hubs ;-)
    Yes. In fact I bypassed them right from the first order.

.. So far little good.I was only contacted by someone who expected to come with an object and leave 5 min later with a full color copy...

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    .. So far little good.I was only contacted by someone who expected to come with an object and leave 5 min later with a full color copy...
    Was it a perpetual motion machine?

Expectation from the not knowing can be a tad high sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post

I have encountered this too. The whole 'make anything' this industry too often throws out there. Then people are disappointed because the print doesn't have a high gloss finished and they can see the layers, or it isn't strong enough, etc. Unfortunately too many have the mindset that (and I have been told this), "I thought you just get the model, press start and then its done."

Ho hum...

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    I have encountered this too. The whole 'make anything' this industry too often throws out there. Then people are disappointed because the print doesn't have a high gloss finished and they can see the layers, or it isn't strong enough, etc. Unfortunately too many have the mindset that (and I have been told this), "I thought you just get the model, press start and then its done."

Ho hum...
    But I've seen it on Star Trek so it must be that way. :bawling:

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well yeah. Startrek is actually a documentary, you knew that right ?
    The fact that humans even had to lie about landing on the moon - seems to bypass people's frontal lobes :0-)

But - within reason - I can make anything: - as long as it's made in plastic and doesn't have more than 1 colour (still not tackled dual printing to any real degree yet) and isn't too big and you don't want a thing that needs a shitload of support and it doesn't have a bunch of half mm thick walls and you haven't made the cad file in sketchup without making any attempt to make it manifold and you don't wnat it made from metal - yeah i did mention only plastic, but you've seen on the telly 3d printing in metal and thought I didn't actually know what my machine actually did.
    And yes it will take 8 hours, and even then it might not work - yes, I'm afraid the videos on youtube are actually speeded up (that one I've actually had).

But apart from that, not a problem :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post

No he "only" expected me to retro-engineer what looked like a turbine shaft with compressor stage. "I bring it to you, you take a couple pictures and you deliver me the 3D model and a physical copy", and all that for next week.

I think I could have done it, but my time would have been too expensive for him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12