Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
1. Again, yes, assuming you don't have EEPROM enabled and something different set there, don't set a different limit using either a gcode command or the LCD (if you have one).

2. The values there are mm/sec. Yes, 500mm/sec is fast, but bear in mind there's acceleration involved. It could be the printer rarely actually reaches those rates if it is having to spend a lot of time accelerating and decelerating. This is where some the gcode snippets in the Marlin Motion Control Settings thread I referenced earlier can help - the non-printing code snippets make it easy to see how different setting values "feel" on the printer.

3. There's another important setting missing - DEFAULT_ACCELERATION. Unlike DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION, there's only one value that is a composite to be applied across all axes. The acceleration value Marlin uses will be the LOWEST of the two. For example, if in your case DEFAULT_ACCELERATION is 100, the higher values in DEFAULT_MAX_ACCELERATION won't be applied.

4. Welcome to the trades involved in optimizing printing. Is this a cartesian printer with threaded rods used on the Z axis? I assume it is based on the comparatively slow feed rate on Z. Lifting the hot end on each retraction is going to be the big hit to your print time. You'll have to decide whether the print quality gained by doing the lift is more/less important than the additional time required to do them. Your other option is to increase the distance between retractions in order to reduce the number of retractions, but that's another trade...
Awesome thank you printbus.

I usually keep default max acceleration the same as default acceleration because i didnt know the difference and I wasnt interested in trying to figure it out.

I definitely am turning off retraction z lift. That is increasing my print time.

It is a cartesian printer with acme rods for z axis. I just want to boost speeds, is there a bar graph or pie chart showing the split ups of what parameters influence print speed the most?