Close

Circles offset on X axis

Circle Problem.jpg

Hello all,

I have had an issue, recently, with printing circles. I hope you can see in the image above. If you cannot enlarge the image, please help me figure out how to attach a larger file.

The issue involves the X axis. When the extruder is running -x and then switches to +x, it seems as if there is some lag. It makes the circles look a little like they are flat on the sides.

I had the same issue with my Y axis months ago, but I re-tensioned my belt and the circles were nearly perfect.

Being new to printing, I will try to share as much technical information that I can:
    • Printer =

HICTOP Prusa I3 3D Desktop Printer[SOLD ONLY BY HIC Technology] http://www.amazon.com/HICTOP-Technology-Accuracy-Self-assembly-Tridimensional/dp/B00N7I1ZVU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1433187463&sr=8-9&keywords=3d+printer

• MB = MKS Base V1.2
    • Software = Repetier
    • Runs with Arduino

I have not had any issues with the motor steps before, as I alluded to above. I did try tensioning the x belt, which was indeed lose, but there were no positive effects. I am wondering how I should go about solving this issue. I have read other posts about calibrating the xstep, but I am not quite sure how to do that. I also am not sure if the motor just needs to be replaced.

Other useful info:

- Recently, my x endstop has stopped working and a small handful of times, the motor will continue to move in the -x direction while trying to home. Could this have damaged the motor?
    -I checked the x motor and found that the drive's screws were sufficiently tight, so I do not think it is slipping on the motors end of things.

I would appreciate any feedback you all may have, and thank you!

Pete

Last edited by Pete Laubenstein; 06-01-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Might the pulley be slipping? Another thing to try is a different slicer, just so you eliminate the slicer as a possible cause.

I think the pulley is what I was trying to refer to when I mentioned the "drive's screws." I tightened them and gave it a jiggle. Everything was secure.

Ill try another slicer! What can you recommend? I don't think it is the slicer though because I haven't had issues with it in the past.

Thank you!

I'm really starting to believe it's the motor. In Repetier, undermanual control, I tried just manually moving the extruder 0.1mm at a time. As I clicked it seemed like it didn't fully start moving until i hit maybe 0.3mm. I can tell its not the pulley, because the actual motor axle was not moving. They were in synch. Not the boy band...

I may just order a new motor. They are only $20.

Might be worth swapping the motor with the Y axis motor. If you get the problem in the Y direction, you'll know it's the motor. If you still get the problem in the X direction, it could be the stepper driver.

I use Slic3r, but Cura has its fans.