Close

Best entry level printer? Geeetech Delta Dual / Duplicator i3 / He 3D Prusa i3 Dual?

I've caught the 3D printing bug. An M3D that I ordered in November arrived a week ago, and while I'm having a lot of fun with it, three limitations have already begun to stick out like a sore thumb, namely:

1. Small build size. 100 x 100 x 90 cm is all I can reliably print.
    2. Lack of heated bed. I mistook the fact that they claimed it could print ABS for an indication that it had a heated bed. It doesn't.
    3. Inconsistent printing / lots of failures.

I'm not unhappy with the above, and I'll probably keep it, but I want to grab something a little bit better. I've narrowed it down to three options (all are from 3dprintersonlinestore, but I don't have any particular affinity for them / connection with them / any reason to think they're any good - they just happen to ship worldwide for free, which is important since I'm in Canada):

Professional Fully Assembled Wanhao Duplicator i3 - $405
    https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.co...rusa-i3-wanhao

Geeetech Dual Extruder Delta 3D Printer Kit - $405 single / $447 dual extruder
    https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.co...3d-printer-kit

He 3D Dual Extruder Prusa i3 Kit - $425 dual extruder
    https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.co...ruder-prusa-i3

Does anyone have any thoughts on these three printers (vs each other, or even vs something else)? If my budget is in the $400 to $450 range, is there a better solution? I know there are a lot of better printers out there for a larger investment.

These both have heated beds, and the Geeetech can be purchased with dual extruders (which I'm on the fence as to whether I'd use). I'd love any feedback anyone has, even if it's to say "don't waste your money" etc. That said, I'm hopeful that there is an option that can get me a heated bed, larger build size, and print quality comparable to the M3D, with a bit more reliability, for under the $450 (or $500 max) mark, shipped.

Thanks in advance for humouring the kind of question you must get a million times a day from brand new users
    Last edited by rhd; 05-31-2015 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Cleaning up / organizing post better

Technologist
    Follow wendy On Twitter Add wendy on Facebook Add wendy on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by rhd View Post
    I've caught the 3D printing bug. An M3D that I ordered in November arrived a week ago, and while I'm having a lot of fun with it, three limitations have already begun to stick out like a sore thumb, namely:

1. Small build size. 100 x 100 x 90 cm is all I can reliably print.
    2. Lack of heated bed. I mistook the fact that they claimed it could print ABS for an indication that it had a heated bed. It doesn't.
    3. Inconsistent printing / lots of failures.

I'm not unhappy with the above, and I'll probably keep it, but I want to grab something a little bit better. I've narrowed it down to three options (all are from 3dprintersonlinestore, but I don't have any particular affinity for them / connection with them / any reason to think they're any good - they just happen to ship worldwide for free, which is important since I'm in Canada):

Professional Fully Assembled Wanhao Duplicator i3 - $405
    https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.co...rusa-i3-wanhao

Geeetech Dual Extruder Delta 3D Printer Kit - $405 single / $447 dual extruder
    https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.co...3d-printer-kit

He 3D Dual Extruder Prusa i3 Kit - $425 dual extruder
    https://www.3dprintersonlinestore.co...ruder-prusa-i3

Does anyone have any thoughts on these three printers (vs each other, or even vs something else)? If my budget is in the $400 to $450 range, is there a better solution? I know there are a lot of better printers out there for a larger investment.

These both have heated beds, and the Geeetech can be purchased with dual extruders (which I'm on the fence as to whether I'd use). I'd love any feedback anyone has, even if it's to say "don't waste your money" etc. That said, I'm hopeful that there is an option that can get me a heated bed, larger build size, and print quality comparable to the M3D, with a bit more reliability, for under the $450 (or $500 max) mark, shipped.

Thanks in advance for humouring the kind of question you must get a million times a day from brand new users
    I suggest you buy HE3D, its advantages:
    LCD:12864
    PrintSize: 190*200*180mm (Max)
    Platformtemperature: 120 degree C (adjustable) MK3 3 mm aluminum alloy heatbed (It can heat up to 120 degrees Celsius.)
    Powersupply: DC 24V 400W Voltage input: vc110v - 220 - v(Faster heating, only take 3-6min.)
    Hostcomputer software: Repetier-Host

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Don't have any experience of any of them. And I'd lean towards a delta - simply because they look brilliant printing and there is some software out there they can use that traditional cartesian machines can't.

Just had agood look at the wanhao.
    Well: it's already built. Very solid, metal. standard pc psu - so lots of oomph and dead easy to replace.
    The he3d has a plastic frame and you have to build it yourself.

On balance if you don't want delta the wanhao is probably the best buy. And it's a decent company.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-01-2015 at 06:21 AM.

Technologist
    Follow wendy On Twitter Add wendy on Facebook Add wendy on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Don't have any experience of any of them. And I'd lean towards a delta - simply because they look brilliant printing and there is some software out there they can use that traditional cartesian machines can't.

Just had agood look at the wanhao.
    Well: it's already built. Very solid, metal. standard pc psu - so lots of oomph and dead easy to replace.
    The he3d has a plastic frame and you have to build it yourself.

On balance if you don't want delta the wanhao is probably the best buy. And it's a decent company.
    Yes, but I've heard HE3D will upgrade fully metal frame i3, I look forward to.

Thank you all for your input. I ended up ordering the Wanhao Duplicator i3.

I was very interested in the Delta, but the only video I could find about it online was a complaint from a user who was having issues with it, and he was having to appeal via video for some response from Geeetech.

Hopefully, if I ever decide I need dual extruders, I'll be able to upgrade the Duplicator, but for now, I think it will be a huge upgrade over the M3D.

I have an M3D too and while mine has been working out great, I wanted something else that wasn't too expensive that would all me to print larger items. I ended up going with the Wanhao i3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Clanggedin View Post
    I have an M3D too and while mine has been working out great, I wanted something else that wasn't too expensive that would all me to print larger items. I ended up going with the Wanhao i3 as well.
    How long did your Duplicator i3 take to ship? I haven't received shipping notification yet.

Mine has not shipped yet. I ordered it a few weeks ago from WanhaoUSA. Apparently the first container of printers they received from China arrived with subpar packaging and missing number of updates they wanted to see so they shipped them back.

I am in no rush since my M3D is printing like a champ.

Apparently those that ordered through Makergeeks we having them drop shipped from China and they are arriving all beat up because of the crappy packaging.