Hello,

I've always had a passion for "inventing" things and sketching down mock ups in a notebook of mine. I'd like to bring some of these ideas to life. I'm ready to take the leap into 3d design/printing but a bit overwhelmed with all the options as far as software and printers go.

It seems that the most important thing for me is going to be the software program used to create the designs. I would like a professional, all inclusive program that can help me create a model, test it out (stress analysis, real world application etc) as well as aid in the manufacturing process. Throughout the design phase, I plan on using the 3d printer to prototype as I build and tweak whatever I'm working on. Then once the design is complete I'll likely have to outsource the manufacturing.

Recently I came across a program called solid works. It seems to be a very professional and top of the line. Are there any comparable software programs? Are there any better programs I should look at? Not sure exactly how much it will cost either. They didn't have pricing on the website which typically indicates it will be quite expensive. Does anyone have an idea on the cost? 10K? 20K? 100K? I plan on creating a wide range of designs, anything from hand tools, to bikes, to engines. Will a program like solid works allow me to create basically anything or are there specific programs tailored to certain kinds of designs?

For the past few years I've been working for myself as a graphic designer of sorts, mainly using illustrator and a bit of photoshop. I'm hoping I can transfer some of that knowledge and experience into the 3d design realm. Has anyone had any experience going from a design program like illustrator to a 3d design program? Is it completely different or will I be able to benefit from what I've learned in illustrator? I never went to school for design when I began with illustrator but spent a great deal of time teaching it to myself through online searches, forums, tutorials and a few textbooks I was able to pick up. I plan on taking that same approach to learn 3d design/printing. I am currently listing in on a youtube series of lectures pertaining to computer aided design by Dr Anoop Chawla from a mechanical engineering school in Delhi. The lectures were uploaded in 2009 so I'm not sure if it will still be relevant (or even helpful for what I'm trying to accomplish) but it seems to cover a lot so I figure it will be worth it. Any good book suggestions or links to lectures / tutorials for a beginner would be helpful. Thanks.