Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi, you can download cura and meshmixer for free.
    There is a lithopane code in Instructables site that uses Processing (free as well) : you can turn a greyscale picture into a stl model.
    Then try and cut it in meshmixer.
    Then "slice" it in Cura.
    I think this last step will create a lot of questions : there's a lot of parameters to get familiar with.
    You can play around a bit with this process but let's be honest you'll have to actually try and print to learn by trial and error the stuff that won't work and the go arounds.
    Expect a little frustration at first. But we can help.

awesome thank you very much LambdaFF I have installed and I am having a play to get familiar with everything but yes you are right I need to be printing to have a real play around. I will update when its payday and going to order a printer.

Thanks everyone. Been a while now and the pattern idea dissapeared when the hobby went. I have however just ordered a Prusa i3 MK2 original so would love to know what the best software for that would be? Would Cura still be the best and easiest to use for a beginner?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yep, cura's a nice bit of work.
    lots of features, easy to use and free :-)

Staff Engineer
    I don't understand why you need a 3D printer to do this. If you need to make foundry forms for sandcasting, and you've already got a mill, why not just mill the patterns instead of printing them? Or machine the depressions in the cast iron directly? It does seem that you need some CAD software in any case, but it sounds like a CNC mill would work better for this project than a 3D printer.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

it will be available on amazon , ebay and aliexpress , You can check it , Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12