Close

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Technologist

Open Sourcing the Pegasus

Howdy, I'm creating this thread to track my progress on working on an open source software package for the Pegasus Touch.

1) I have figured out the following items so far:
    A) enable/disable laser (not sure if it is tuned right or not)
    B) control brightness of backlight on screen
    C) know if Z limit is reached
    D) know if case is open.

2) I'm working on and have ideas for controlling the galvo. It uses an ADC that I need to figure out how to communicate with. I have the basic theory, but I'm debating if I do a python script or try to load it into the PRU. I'm unable to load anything into the PRU on my BBB so I'm having some issues getting things to work, but I'm pretty sure I know which pins to toggle and what the toggles should look like.

3) Haven't nailed down how to control the Z axis. I believe I can get the enable, but nothing I've done so far will move it up or down.

4) I have info on obtaining root access, but I would recommend getting a new BBB for work to prevent any damage to the existing one (unless you have given up the retina software). I have a few things to upload to the git repo, but it'll probably be in a few days.
    https://github.com/doobie42/pegasus3dprinter

Staff Engineer
    As an ordinary owner and currently non-user, this is exciting stuff to see. I certainly don't have the skill to pop a new beagle into the case and reprogram the thing, but have enough skill to pop a new beagle in the case and run with an established working program.

Is it unrealistic to think that your efforts would result in the Pegasus working with a program such as Simplify3D?

Technologist
    If what I'm working on works... Anything that spits out gcode will work. I've never used Simplify3D. I'm looking at integrating my code into BeagleG which is a gcode processor for a variety of hardware platforms for Beagle's. Once I'm done (as as I make progress), the code will all be open source so anyone can help add, modify, fix, or improve it. There won't be any limits on what it'll be able to do (unless I completely fail in getting control of it, but I think I'm fairly close; so long as I find the free time).

Staff Engineer
    After seeing the video on github associated with the BeagleG processor, I can see why you'd be aiming in that direction.

Technologist
    I'm having issues resolving how to enable the galvo's I think. I cannot get them to budge even following the code I see from disassembling to example code. I was able to enable/disable/drive the laser, but not move it's position. I also was unable to get the z stepper motor to move, but have some ideas.

Technologist
    I have the galvo, laser, and stepper under control. It's all in python, so it isn't usable for printing, but a first step.

Technologist
    I have a gcode parser in C that can drive the galvo and laser. I have stepper code in python that seems to reliably move the Z axis. I'm working to move the Z axis into C, but it has become problematic. I spent about an hour last night trying to do it, and of course I gave up and went to do some reading and realized my mistake but didn't feel like powering everything up, maybe tonight or tomorrow.... Going to be bringing my printer to a local Maker Space (maybe two tomorrow) to show off what I've done with it.

I'm pondering doing a Kickstarter in which I will put together a BBB configured for the new software. Not 100% sure if I'll do that or just let everyone "fend" for themselves. I'd have to look into it, I figured it would be like $100 to cover the cost of a BBB board and time to get the software developed/installed on the boards, and the software would become open source in the end.

Staff Engineer
    Are there aspects of the Pegasus that are not working and not expected to be addressed by FSL? Will having an alternative control system available correct these problems? I'm disappointed that there isn't more traffic on this particular topic, as it would certainly add to the level of understanding.

Technologist
    You can use any resin you want without paying $1500 license fee to FSL, you can resale your printer without paying a transfer free (buyer), you will have full control over the printer.

I'm using everything open source so others can contribute/fix/tweak.

You're always able to move back to the FSL system by putting that BBB into your machine.

Downsides I'm not a GUI person so it probably won't be a nice GUI to start.

And no warranty. Of course I doubt FSL would warranty anything if they software screwed up and broke your printer or wasted resin.

Staff Engineer
    I like the "any resin" aspect you've noted. My Pegasus is yet in the box from the kickstarter days. I had sent a question to FSL back then and was requested to return the printer for a full re-fit. Since its return, it's remained in the box. I currently have no place to set it up for practical use. Setting up, printing, followed by breaking down is not indicated. I've been keeping up on all the troubles other users have had and hope I can use their experiences to benefit my use in the future. I'm hopeful I'll have a workspace by the time you're ready to release your work.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast