Close

Aluminum PLA Filament By RepRapper

Aluminum is often the material of choice for a variety of parts in many industries. Light weight, durable, corrosion resistant and relatively cheap, aluminum is hard to beat. Now RepRapper Tech Co. Ltd. says they've come up with a formulation which offers a range of material advantages when it comes to 3D printing. The new Aluminum PLA is made with a mix of approximately 30% aluminum powder and 70% pure PLA, and they say it prints easily on most common 3D printers. It can be printed at a temperature of around 210°C, and they say a heated bed is recommended. You can read the entire story here: http://3dprint.com/63660/reprapper-aluminum-pla/

Below is a look at the RepRapper Aluminum PLA compared to normal PLA:

How about aluminum ABS?

I'd love to combine the real-metal look of aluminum with the vapor-smoothing ability of ABS...

Does it need to be sanded ? Will it be offered on bigger spools than 200gr ?
    Will it be available from resellers (Imprimante3DFrance for instance ) ?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Got 10 metres on the way along with some of their copper pla as well :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Got 10 metres on the way along with some of their copper pla as well :-)
    Oh fantastic. Please let me know how good this is as were interested in trying some I think. I would be mostly interested in strength and printability (how long and hard hard it is to do complex geometry.) Look forward to hearing how this works for you.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    if it's anything like the bronzefill it should print without any problems

bear in mind that adding metal powder to pla makes it WEAKER not stronger. The powder is just there for appearance.

It's supposed to look metallic without sanding - which is the big hassle with bronzefill.
    So we'll see - and definitely reviews :-)