Close

Student
    Add macdonald.laura92 on Thingiverse

First experiences!

Hey everyone!

I was hoping to take this chance to introduce myself, and hopefully get to know you all!
    My name is Laura and I'm pretty new to 3D printing. My background was in 2D design graphics,
    but the third dimension has been a great advancement for me.

I'm just here to share my first experiences in 3D printing, and hope the rest of you would share yours.
    We can share ideas, experiences, and hopefully learn from eachother.

My first 3D printer was a cheap buy at £160, a RapRap i3, and it seemed to hold together, but flimsy parts made me
    anxious. It started falling apart after the first few runs, and I'm not going to waste money on China-crap again.

I decided to do a major upgrade and bought a Prusa i3 from Prusa Research. So far, no problems! It's been reliable, and doesn't feel
    like it's going to fall apart just yet. I guess you really do have to pay for quality. Still, it wasn't half as expensive as I'd be willing to pay for it.

Thanks for sharing guys,
    let me know what you've been doing and share some of your ideas!

- LM

Add bford903 on Facebook
    Welcome!

What kinds of things are you looking to make?

Technologist
    Follow wendy On Twitter Add wendy on Facebook Add wendy on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by macdonald.laura92 View Post
    Hey everyone!

I was hoping to take this chance to introduce myself, and hopefully get to know you all!
    My name is Laura and I'm pretty new to 3D printing. My background was in 2D design graphics,
    but the third dimension has been a great advancement for me.

I'm just here to share my first experiences in 3D printing, and hope the rest of you would share yours.
    We can share ideas, experiences, and hopefully learn from eachother.

My first 3D printer was a cheap buy at £160, a RapRap i3, and it seemed to hold together, but flimsy parts made me
    anxious. It started falling apart after the first few runs, and I'm not going to waste money on China-crap again.

I decided to do a major upgrade and bought a Prusa i3 from Prusa Research. So far, no problems! It's been reliable, and doesn't feel
    like it's going to fall apart just yet. I guess you really do have to pay for quality. Still, it wasn't half as expensive as I'd be willing to pay for it.

Thanks for sharing guys,
    let me know what you've been doing and share some of your ideas!

- LM
    I hope we can exchange experiences. I'm wendy.
    I agree with your point of view, the quality is very important.
    www.reprapmall.com
    sales@reprapmall.com

Student
    Add macdonald.laura92 on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by bford903 View Post
    Welcome!

What kinds of things are you looking to make?
    Well, that's a hard question! I want to start off with some miniature models - I'm a big Marvel fan! So I'll stay with some more fun things, then start working on more intricate models. One day I'll have my own helicarrier!

Once I get confident, I'll start working on business ideas, but that could be years down the line.