Close

feedback signal of motors sensors in case of error detected

Hello,
    Thank you for the useful post. I have a question. I am woking with stepper motors and an AzteegX3 PRO 3D board. I want to add a code for managing feedback signal for the motor sensors in case of an error detected. I have no idea how to write a code like this. Do you have some advise?

Senior Engineer
    There is no feedback from the motors. It is possible to make a feedback signal from the voltages on the wires but that is quite an horrendous piece of analogue electronic design. It is also possible to fit sensors on the axes to measure if the carriage actually moved as it should but experience says it is not worth the hastle and the increased complexity just reduces reliability while giving marginal benefits.

Engineer
    My question that bother me the most, is it worth the trouble with encoder. The fact that stepper motor can be deadly accurate if use in a smart way, you can control the position really accurate.

What application would require such precision? The fact that "toy grade printer" is competing with high end industrial machine just make me believe, to forget the encoder.