Close

Technician

Filament keeps breaking

I have a Prusa iV3 and I'm using 3mm PLA from Maker Farm that I got when I purchased the printer. In the last 6 weeks or so the filament has broken, about 10" or so from the extruder. Each time it has broken it was when the printer was not printing. I'm glad it didn't break when it was printing because it'd be a waste of time and material.
    Anyway, has anyone experienced this?
    BTW, the printer is in my basement, I'm guessing temps down there are about 65 or so.

Technician
    I meant to mention that I'm using the spool holder that came with the printer.

Senior Engineer
    I have a roll of ABS that breaks every time I stop using it meaning I have to strip the hot end to get the bits out. It will print all day long perfectly but the moment I stop and let it cool it will be broken next time I warm it up. Never found a reason for it and I have only had one roll do it.

Try a different filament would be my suggestion based on what I find.

I had exactly the same problem with some 3mm PLA filament that would turn brittle when it was stressed. The section of the filament between the roll and the extruder is left under stress when the printer isn't printing and it would turn brittle and shatter after a couple of hours. The good news is that it didn't break while the printer was printing as it wasn't stressed for long enough to turn brittle, but the bad news is I had to cut or back out the filament whenever I wasn't going to print for a while, or live with the realisation that it was going to shatter.

My filament was a translucent blue - what colour's yours?

Technician
    Mine is white. I guess I'll start backing the filament out when I'm done printing. But, that's a pain to do every time. Oh well. Such is life.