Close

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    couple of things that should make it easier.
    You can use diameters instead of radii. This means that you don't have to mentally double the size of a sphere or cylinder every time you want one.
    That and putting a module before you've defined it - make no sense to me :-)
    I'm not a programmer, so a lot of the ways other people use openscad just strikes me as confusing and the wrong way round.
    But that's the beauty of openscad - everyone can use it the way that makes sense to them.

Also for a rounder shape use a higher '$fn=' value.
    I usually use the max: $fn-100;
    Which gives you very round things. Takes a little longer to f6 render. But the models are better.

Another thing you can do is to use variables to create parametric objects.
    $fn=100;

sd=10; //sphere diameter
    wt=2; // thickness of sphere wall
    hs=3; // hole size

difference() {
    sphere(d=sd); //create sphere with diameter set by sd
    sphere(d=sd-(2*wt)); //remove sphere from centre of original sphere - size defined by wt
    translate([0,0,-sd/2])cylinder(d=hs,h=wt*4); // remove hole from bottom of sphere - diameter defined by hs
    }
    Because I used variables - whenever you change one of the numbers - the other automatically adapt.
    Also for printing you want the sphere to be hole down.
    The other thing that I find essential is to put a lot of coments into a script.
    // can be put anywhere to write a comment to explain what you've done. Otherwise you'll come back to a script and it won't make any sense at all :-)
    I know the maths can probably be improved - but the above script does work :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-29-2015 at 10:37 AM.