Close

Damn Filament won't stick no matter what!

I'm printing an oculus rift clone but the print is such that the base has very little area.
    The frame is thin and for whatever reason, MatterControl refuses to print a raft. MatterControl is a piece of crap but it is still better than the other programs I've tried like Cura (print button doesn't work) and repetier (doesn't even attempt to print. Says print finished without doing anything).

I've tried various surfaces:
    1. Paper
    2. Kapton Tape
    3. BuildTak
    4. Blue Masking Tape from the Dollar Store

No matter what, the damn filament doesn't stick!
    I've tried adjusting the height of the leveling various heights and it sticks for a few layers and then it just fucking HHAAAAS to detach.

I've wasted an entire roll and weeks trying to get the damn thing to attach.

Engineer
    File of stl?

I hope you did not purchase cheap ass quality filament they are notorious for being pain to deal.

The filament came with the 3D printer Kit. It's the Migbot Prusa kit shipped from China. It was annoying to build because their cuts weren't precise. I had to sand it multiple times on a few components. In addition, the heating bed mount has a few screw attachments. 3 of the 4 holes were successfully cut. The last one only had a slight etching. I had to frickin melt a hole into it using my soldering iron.
    Also It came with two 1kg rolls of PLA. I assume its crap? They even mistook my order. I wanted 2 rolls of ABS and they sent me PLA. Bottomline, it was a pain to deal with them. I asked them for help and they kept blaming me for their shit. They wouldn't replace their mismanufactured parts (they diverted the conversation away....). When they said they'd ask their boss for part replacement, they never email me back even when I ask multiple times. They only keep repeating that BS line in broken chinglish, "I'll ask my boss".

Fuuuurthermore, the damn powersupply can't power both the stepper motors and the heating bed at the same time despite turning the power to maximum

I've attached the STL File.
    Thanks for helping!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nzhu; 05-14-2015 at 11:09 PM.

Technician
    Not to rub salt, but your experience is exactly why I went with MakerFarm. U.S. company, stuff build in the U.S. and customer support that can't be beat. I'm betting you have crappy filament, and maybe not a decent heat bed that isn't heating evenly?
    Currently I'm printing on glass with glue from a glue stick. I've had an issue with a large print that only had three small contact patches not sticking. In those cases, I put extra glue on, and applied it to warm glass. Then it worked fine.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Also if you're using blue tape - DON'T get it from the dollar store. I'm a pound shop junky - but even I have to use the expensive painters tape.
    You'll need to get the genuine stuff - euther duck brand or 3m. It's thicker, wax impregnated and pla sticks to it at 50c to the point that you only get the print off by removing the tape with it.

As far as that print goes - you're going to need a whole helluva lot of support - so probably best to print with a raft for the support to attach to. Also if you printed it upside down, you'd need less support - but still probably best to use raft.

That whole model is just not designed by someone who's ever 3d printed anything.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 05-15-2015 at 08:18 AM.

You can smear a layer of common liquid glue on hot bed, and set the proper temperature of bed.

i have the same printer, and although i had a few issues with parts, i eventually threatened to send the printer back for a full refund and their attitude changed quickly. Mine also came with the PLA and i have not had any issues. I use painters tape along with hairspray and i have not had any issues since.