Having played around with the software over the last few days I got most things running as I wanted. The one exception was that I wanted to be able to run the ABL sequence from the LCD. Originally I had it run every time I printed by inserting it in the GCODE file, but this seemed unnecessary, particularly when printing a series of files in quick succession. I searched through the web for any clues on how to play around with the LCd menu, but found very little info. A bit of code investigation showed that it should not be too difficult, so here are the steps if anyone else is interested.

I am using the BeckDac version of Marlin on the 1v3 12" machine with the RUMBA board.

1. open the file language.h
2. Find line that reads #define MSG_AUTO_HOME "Auto home" (in my file for English language it is line #158)
3. Insert a new line after the above: #define MSG_ABL "ABL" (The text in quotes can be your own to a maximum of 17 characters)
4. Save and close the file.
5. open the file Marlin_main.cpp
6. Find line that reads MENU_ITEM(gcode, MSG_AUTO_HOME, PSTR("G28")); (in my it is line #568)
7. Insert a new line after the above: MENU_ITEM(gcode, MSG_ABL, PSTR("G29")); (The text in quotes should be the same as you used in step 3)
8. Save and close the file.
9. Compile and upload to printer.

There should now be a new entry in the Prepare menu.

Remember you still have to HOME the axis prio to ABL, I tried to get around this by combining HOME and ABL in step 7:

MENU_ITEM(gcode, MSG_ABL, PSTR(" G28 G29") or
MENU_ITEM(gcode, MSG_ABL, PSTR("G28 M400 G29")

where the M400 is meant to wait until the G28 command has finished moving before running the G29, but I had no luck. Both would run the G28 command then stop.

Anyway, there is it, hopefully it may help a few people.