Close

Create it REAL Super Fast 3D Print Board - 3D RPT

Create It Real has created a 3D printer board (3D RPT) and chip which they claim allows 3D printers to print at speeds of up to 450 mm/sec. That's not all though. According to the company they are now working to make the chip capable of allowing for printing at a staggering rate of 1,800 mm/sec. If this is achieved they are certain to get contacted by many of the larger players in the industry. The average desktop 3D printer prints at a rate of about 130-150 mm/sec, with many falling on either side of that average, but none surpassing 450 mm/sec. More information on the board and what it may mean for the future of desktop 3D printing (both SLA and FDM/FFF) can be found here: http://3dprint.com/63766/create-it-real-3d-rpt-fast/

Below are some images of the 3D RPT Board by Create it REAL. Let's hear your thoughts on these future speed claims of the company.

Follow wpilgrim On Twitter Add wpilgrim on Facebook Add wpilgrim on Thingiverse
    I’ll believe it when I see it (printing) FFF or FDM are restricted due to the physical properties of the material being extruded and the properties of the extruder (inertia). You certainly pointed out some of these in the post but a tenfold jump in FDM seems unlikely to me. I am much more excited to see what is coming out of the SLA/DLP world myself right now particularly the Carbon3d and a couple of other recent risers. That is the space I will be investing in next.

Engineer
    While typical 3D printers can extrude at the rate of 150mm/second, the CreateItReal board can easily hit 450mm/second without breaking a sweat. Note this is actual print time, not “travel time” where the extruder moves from one location to another without extruding. The CreateItReal board can travel at 1,000mm/second.

Is the the top end for the board? We’re told it could handle a staggering 1,800mm/second in the near future! Imagine how this could transform the 3D printing experience: let’s say a typical print takes 2 hours and 25 minutes to complete on “normal” 3D printers at 150mm/second printing speed. If sped up to 1,800mm/second, that same print could take only 12 minutes! Of course, such a print, if actually attempted, would likely take more than 12 minutes as some portions of the print job are not affected by print speed, but you get the idea.

Clearly the TRAVEL SPEED is 1800 and the PRINT SPEED is 450, and you can clearly see how faboloo got confused.It's just another turbo WASP 20 40 sub performing, yet which both company has to prove how reliable this set up work in conventional settings and not just one specific configuration that doesn't suit typical standard.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    it's not going to work with existing materials and extruders.

I guess if you were using a larger nozzle diameter and 3mm filament - then yeah it should be possible to hit those kinds of speeds.
    And resolution and nozzle diameter are not mentioned in the article.

And to be fair it's the low resolution end of the market that seriously need improving.
    Large practical desings are currently the biggest pain to print on most desktop fff machines.
    They takea helluva long time and tend to warp.
    If you can get the plastic down in much larger beads and a lot faster that would help solve both of those issues as the whole mass would retain heat longer into the print job and cool at a more even temp.

Senior Engineer
    It is nice to be able to print a superb looking finished item direct but I find that I tend to print a lot of things that I am going to file, drill cut shape after it has printed. I suppose when you are prototyping technical items this is always the case.

Something that prints really fast and roughish would serve me most of the time while designing something.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    and for practical purposes most of the stuff I make isn't high detail.