Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My guess is the reason the bed heats up first is because it takes so much longer for it to heat up. I don't think it would be very good for the nozzle to sit there at full temp waiting for the bed to come up to temp. Plus it also give the bed time to have a more even heat if it is at temp while the nozzle is coming up to temp.

Just my thoughts.

Follow ServiceXp On Twitter Add ServiceXp on Google+ Add ServiceXp on Thingiverse
    Thanks everyone for the comments, and while I agree with the logic behind why heating the bed first, I was just hoping for a faster preheat cycle.. It would be cool for S3D to use a preheat algorithm.

Just a note:
    I just ran the cone example again, and sure enough, all three start heating up at the same time. Bed, and both extruders... So it must be possible (at least in whatever slicer the example used) to heat all three at the same time.

Thanks again..

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    there's probably some gcode you can put in the starting gcode script for s3d.

here's the current heating code:
    M126 S[fan_speed_pwm] M140 S[bed0_temperature] T0
    M134 T0 ; stabilize bed temperature
    M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0
    M133 T0 ; stabilize extruder temperature
    I guess if you moved the stabilise bed temperature from where it is to below the stabilise extruder temperature, it might heat both bed and extruder at the same time. It looks like the stabilise command is what makes it wait for the bed to get to temp before heating the extruder.
    So if you set it up like this:
    M126 S[fan_speed_pwm] M140 S[bed0_temperature] T0
    M104 S[extruder0_temperature] T0
    M133 T0 ; stabilize extruder temperature
    Theoretically it should heat both bed and extruders at the same time. And as the extruder heats faster than the bed there shouldn't be any problems getting the head to temp first.
    Theoretically :-)

I generally find when i mess with startup gcode - apparently 'unrelated' things go tits-up.

But I suppose it's worth a try :-)
    I know my knp is using a standard pc psu - so has more than enough oomph to heat everything at the same time.

New guy here but while I was researching which printer I wanted there was a YouTube video that tells you how to install ReplicatorG and Sailfish firmware. One of the things he mentions with moving to Sailfish is having the ability to heat the extruder and bed at the same time. Mine did the same thing. When I moved to S3D it went back to heating the bed and then the extruder. Not sure if this is a feature in Sailfish or the version of ReplicatorG that will use Sailfish.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    That is just the startup Gcode S3d uses. In my opinion it isn't necessary time wise at all to heat both at the same time and it is better for the power supply if you do them separately. The build plate can take up to 10 minutes to heat up, the extruder maybe 1 minute. Now I could see both heating at the same time if both took like 10 minutes. I believe the extruder even starts heating when the build plate is close to being done so this further reduces the time.

To further reduce the time, run a preheat on the build plate first, and not the extruder. Do this build plate preheat while getting files prepared from S3d and copied to SDcard.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well it looks like you're on your own. Everybody elses heats the bed and then the head/s.
    Congratulations :-)
    Actually what I would like is to heat up both faster. I am afraid though that adding a separate power supply at a higher voltage may burn out the bed. Also without thermal feedback I may also exceed limit. Any suggestions?

I dson't own a FFC pro but I do use S3D : I usually do something similar to what Curious Aardvark pointed at.

Use M140 and M104 to set heat bed and extruders temps
    And AFTER, you put the lines for M190 and M109 which force to wait until temp is stabilised.

Works for my printer but as the others pointed out : it works only if the current output allows it...

RepG's configuration for FlashForge sets them both in progress by default, Simplify3D has them separate in the starting gcode.

Go into your process settings and select the scripts tab. Then move the extruder temp setting before the bed temp setting, as below.
    M104 S[extruder1_temperature] T1
    M140 S[bed0_temperature] T0

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12