Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    tech support is paramount for 3d printing : whether in the form of a big active community or an aftersales from the OEM.
    This is the best advice you will get.
    I third that.

Todd67 and Bassna thanks for your advices

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    so which country are you in ?

Buying from a suplier in the same country is mainly cost. ie: cheaper delivery and no import tax.
    At your price range it's geenrally quicker and cheaper to fix the machie yourself than mess around with suppliers.
    The prix is a decent looking machine and while it's not been around long - can't say I've heard anything negative about them - or anything at all for that matter :-)

filament wise. basically everything (except nylon) is better than abs :-)
    I've lost count of the different types of filament I've currently got - and your friend here is globalfsd.com
    try a sample before buying a big roll :-)

Pla is great stuff. As strong and tough as abs - in my experience, but way easier to print with. And shinier.

Actually if you plan on designing your own products then the printer is almost secondary to the design software. Pretty much any printer will produce similiar results - the differences are mainly in the design.

Have you any design experience ?
    curious aardvark: I live in Poland. I'm totally a beginner. I only have 2d design experience. I've never tried 3d but with help of some of my friends in Poland, i will be launching my own business regarding those 3d printed materials. Actually because of the fact that Pirx is a polish brand, i've been interested in that since it may be easier to bring the printer to service in case of any failure. Buying a chinese product could be cheaper. Buying a good stuff with paying less is a good option but what if the printer gets broken? I don't want to send the printer to China and then wait for it for about 2-3 months for the return

Here in Poland and also in all of the european union countries, the rules are strict so before beginning to sell 3d printed materials, i guess i have to send some samples to labs made both from ABS and PLA to get confirmation from the state. For the printer: The most important 2 things are calibration and speed. (best option for a decent budget) and for the filament: Durable and smooth material without any health risk.

Is there also a chance to adjust the hardness of the printed material from both filaments?

Best Regards,
    M.

Engineer-in-Training
    To be honest with you when you get into 3d printing you fix most things yourself. These things are not terribly complicated and that is why we advise to get one with good customer support and a popular model so you can find out how to fix stuff from the forums and online sources like youtube. That is why I recommended FlashForge creator. It is a very popular printer that prints very well. Their customer support is also very good. Parts are readily available over the internet.

You cannot change the hardness of the materials but you can change the infill density to make the parts stronger. There are times when I just want a representation of something so I use 10-20% infill. Other times I want a part that is representative of the injection molded part and I use 100% infill. PLA feels harder than ABS because it is stiffer. Nylon is stronger than ABS and PLA but is hygroscopic so you wouldn't want to use it in applications involving water as it will swell over time.

As far as selling printed items in EU with their restrictions I would suggest settling on a filament that is made in the EU. The company can more than likely supply you with the proper MSDS data and any other documentation required for printed objects.

Thank you Todd-67. Maybe you are right. If customer support is great with a popular brand around the world, i can get as much help as possible from here, other forums and channels like youtube. And also i liked your suggestion about asking the local filament developers if i need to get any documents before selling stuff made from them. PLA or ABS that's the biggest question right now Some say ABS and some say PLA. That's like ATI vs NVIDIA Both have advantages and disadvantages against each other. Since durability and smoothness of the item is the major fact for me i guess i will go with ABS although some say that PLA can be as durable as ABS. Really tough matter :/

Quote Originally Posted by Todd-67 View Post
    To be honest with you when you get into 3d printing you fix most things yourself. These things are not terribly complicated and that is why we advise to get one with good customer support and a popular model so you can find out how to fix stuff from the forums and online sources like youtube. That is why I recommended FlashForge creator. It is a very popular printer that prints very well. Their customer support is also very good. Parts are readily available over the internet.

You cannot change the hardness of the materials but you can change the infill density to make the parts stronger. There are times when I just want a representation of something so I use 10-20% infill. Other times I want a part that is representative of the injection molded part and I use 100% infill. PLA feels harder than ABS because it is stiffer. Nylon is stronger than ABS and PLA but is hygroscopic so you wouldn't want to use it in applications involving water as it will swell over time.

As far as selling printed items in EU with their restrictions I would suggest settling on a filament that is made in the EU. The company can more than likely supply you with the proper MSDS data and any other documentation required for printed objects.

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    PLA can be as tough as ABS. It really all boils down to what you want to use it for. I see you mentioned phone cases, & if that's the case -- pun intended! -- then ABS may be a bit more suitable. We've built a few phone cases out of PLA & have seen mixed results.

Quote Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
    PLA can be as tough as ABS. It really all boils down to what you want to use it for. I see you mentioned phone cases, & if that's the case -- pun intended! -- then ABS may be a bit more suitable. We've built a few phone cases out of PLA & have seen mixed results.
    Hmm and how about jewellery?

Engineer
    If you want smooth, I recommend ABS and Acetone vapor bath.

http://sinkhacks.com/building-aceton...printed-parts/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12