Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Why Sound Waves - Why NOT just data?

I'm very confused as to why this printer is using sound waves in order to transfer the data? Why can't it just work like a regular printer, and send the data directly to the printer like a PC send data to a regular printer? What are the benefits of using sound waves? Seems kind of unecessary to me. Am I missing something?
    Derek

Super Moderator
    It's simpler. You need to convert the digital data into analog for the mirror actuators and soundcards, even integrated ones, contain very good (high resolution, low noise) digital-to-analog converters, so why not use that, rather than having to add more components and more cost?

yup as Compro01 has pointed out the system aims to use analog control over digital control, granted in most systems some DAC/ADC (digital to analog conversion/ Analog to digital conversion) needs to take place this is not always the case as some motors like stepper motors (more expensive then a simple motor) are driven from a digital signal. If any one is not sure of the area or is interested I would suggest spending a small amount of time looking into the differences between analog and digital control systems and sensors. If you do explore this area and take into account the design of the peachy in the process you will see how cleaver the idea of using an analog signal in this context actually is. One final thing I would like to point out (or make more confusing ) for anyone who is not used to this subject is that the question here is slightly misleading, the question asked about using a sound wave over data, a sound wave (an analog signal) is carrying data, I assume that the OP meant the data in this case to be a digital signal, any encoded signal is carrying data, even a hand gesture or facial expression .
    Last edited by Mech_Fire; 10-04-2013 at 10:05 AM.

(It looks like the question was answered while I was writing up my reply; I'm leaving it because it goes into a little more detail.)

It's not using sound waves exactly, it's just using the sound card to send an (analog) electric signal.

The printer has to somehow move the mirrors to control its laser. It does that using electromagnets, and it moves the electromagnets using an electric signal on a wire. It needs some way to convert commands that describe what to print into signals for the electromagnets.

Now it could do what you say: receive commands over USB (or some other digital interface with the computer) and have electronics on board that interpret that digital signal and convert it into an analog signal that controls the magnets. But just about every computer already has something that converts digital signals to analog: their sound cards. Sound cards generate an analog signal that moves an electromagnet in the speaker, which generates sound -- almost the same job the Peachy Printer needs done, just moving a speaker diaphragm instead of a mirror. By using a host computer's sound card to do the job, the printer doesn't need any electronics on board: it can just hook the electromagnets directly to the speaker wire. It ends up being a lot simpler and cheaper.

So in short, the sound card does a job that the printer would have to do anyway. By letting that job be done on the host computer, the Peachy Printer can be less expensive and less complicated.
    Last edited by prototrout; 10-04-2013 at 10:01 AM.

And just as FYI, a speaker dosent get a "sound wave" too. he's moving to an electric signal to produce a sound wave!

Peachy Printer Founder
    The most popular option would be to use a micro controller, going with the sound card may have saved us a small amount of money but the true reason I stuck with the sound card is that in the 3rd world, people are far more likely to have a smart phone than a laptop.

So it was largely a moral decision to include everyone I could in the use of this printer!

It seems that 3d printers become even more use full if your in a country that does not have the infrastructure to provide you with lots of products.

Rylan Grayston

Rylan, you out of the box thinking is why I backed you. I look forward to the next year. Congratulations to you and your team

Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
    The most popular option would be to use a micro controller, going with the sound card may have saved us a small amount of money but the true reason I stuck with the sound card is that in the 3rd world, people are far more likely to have a smart phone than a laptop.

So it was largely a moral decision to include everyone I could in the use of this printer!

It seems that 3d printers become even more use full if your in a country that does not have the infrastructure to provide you with lots of products.

Rylan Grayston

I actualy thought about this just right now,
    Will we be able to use speakers to listen to music as its printing? (Even tho we have 2 3.5mm audio jacks.)
    I am guessing not? ^^

Engineer-in-Training
    Not very likely. But if you have a smart phone, you can print from that and listen to music on your computer, or vice versa.

If I need to, I'll buy (or use an old one) a SmartPhone dedicated to the 3D Printer.

But there's more chance I'll fit the Pro version Microcontroller.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast