Close

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    hello, my first post here. has there been any update recently about the printer, experiences and support for this printer and company? I'm interested in buying this printer as my first printer to get my feet wet.

Most of the discussion about this printer (including a fix about a recently discovered shorting (possible fire?)-hazard) is happening at the Google Groups forum, so if you want some of the latest news/tweaks, check there:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ao-printer-3d/

As for a general starting guide however, look here:
    http://3dprinterbrain.com/pmwiki.php/DupI3/DuplicatorI3

Definitely look at the "Recommended Mods" page, and if you want, some of the ones on the "Extra Mods" page can help improve the quality as well.

Just keep in mind two things.

First, that several of the ones on the recommended mods page have already been performed on newer printers shipped out (Such as Z-axis dampners, having the extruder fan on always-on, and adding a fan to the control box, but check to make sure yours does have these) and that the pages for the DI3 on Printer Brain haven't been updated in a while (Most importantly, the shorting hazard of the crimped connections, HIGHLY recommended you perform that fix first before using it).

I am currently working on performing the last of a few modifications to mine before using it for the first time, so feel free to ask any questions as well.

hey, thank you for the info and important update. very much appreciated.

Stay Away from Wanhaousa.com

Quote Originally Posted by stewscustoms View Post
    hello, my first post here. has there been any update recently about the printer, experiences and support for this printer and company? I'm interested in buying this printer as my first printer to get my feet wet.
    I ordered a Wanhao Duplicator i3 from wanhao usa. My first clue that I made a mistake was when they did not ship for over a month and did not return emails. I finally asked them to cancel my order. Then they shipped the next day.

Now the company does not respond to requests for parts when the machine breaks down under warranty. This machine has been broken longer than it has been running in two months. If they can't even send you the repair parts I could just imagine what would happen if you tried to send it back for service work under warranty. They also delete any negative comments from their google groups discussions topics so that forum isn't a 'real' indication of anything anybody is experiencing.

I also recently had a heating problem that I traced to a connection on the inside of the cable chain. It may look cool but it's a pain to access any of the wires in there. The connection is getting very hot and could possibly cause a fire. I've stopped using it again until I can fix this.

Once you are beyond the time period to cancel your credit card payment you are completely on your own.

I got mine today (from technologyoutlet.co.uk) and it's printing the DiiiCooler from ABS right now, my first print after the successfull test model. It's my first printer, but CNC routers have been a hobby of mine since 2006. It sure was easy to set up, and does nice prints. The test print went without a hitch once I put down some tape, but the PLA raft lifted from the clean glass when I first tried that. I didn't bother laying down the included bed tape.

I modified the bed before printing anything, by adding nuts under the spring bolts and replacing the wing nuts with some brass knurled wheels that I tured in my lathe yesterday.

I see one thing that will definitely fail if I don't do anything about it. The heated bed wires are unsupported, and will definitely break some time, so I'm going to add a bracket that lets me secure them with a clip.

Also, those cable chains are silly on a small machine like this. I will probably rearrange the wires into braided sleeves and support them in both ends in a large loop. Much better on small machines like this (and my small CNC router). Here's an example where the motor and signal wires are bundled in a braided sleeve and supported at both ends. No chance of breaking at terminals and much cleaner and less strenous.

cnc18.jpg

I also want to make a connector between the control box and the machine, but first I'm going to enjoy it a little.
    Last edited by tahustvedt; 10-05-2015 at 11:39 AM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    use gluestick on the glass for pla.
    I basically add a couple of layers before each print. Soon builds up to a nice thick layer of peelable plastic and with a slow first layer you don't need rafts with pla.

Plus as you're basically printing directly on the pva - doesn't matter what's below it.
    You're in the uk - go into a poundworld - 2 large gluesticks and 3 small ones for an entire pound :-)
    The big ones last for months, haven't had to crack a small one yet.

You could probably have printed the adjustment wheels out - love the fact that you turned them from brass instead :-)

What slicer are you using ?

Yeah I probably could print them, but I needed something to do as I was going crazy waiting for the machine to get here. I'll post a pic soon.

I'm in Norway, actually. I couldn't find anywhere to buy it in Norway until a couple of days after I had ordered. It was cheaper for me to order from UK anyway.

I'm using a Scotch glue stick right now for printing ABS. Works pretty well. I'm printing at 60 mm/s and 230°C/95°C. The hot end seems to be lagging behind or something because the temperature sits at 220-225°C most of the time.

I took a quick shot of it while printing:
    Printer01.jpg

Video: https://instagram.com/p/8dlbFDF1Wq/

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    pretty sure all gluesticks are the same :-)
    Had a loo at one last week - they're pretty solid machines.
    great build volume for the price.

So what slicer software are you using ?

Repetier-Host, using the CuraEngine slicer. I print from SD so as not to occupy the PC.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast