Close

Newbie to the Forum with Business in mind

Hi All

Newbie to the forum and new to 3D printing. I see 3D printing as a mini revolution in some areas, the dramatic reduction in price for the machine kits has opened up 3D printing to virtually anybody, i genuinely see a big future in 3D printing and am excited to be part of it now, i have purchased a Prusa i3 Basic printer with the intention of building the basic kit which in turn i will then gain the basic knowledge to undertsand what it what on the machine and how to upgrade parts to suit my needs, Thats the Plan anyway!

Chat soon, Probably in the 'Help' section

I will say this.. You CAN make a business out of it, but you are WAY behind the curve. I am in Des Moines and there are already 15 or so printers that are actively doing business or trying to.
    If you can market better, produce quality parts at competitive prices you certainly can succeed though.
    There are a lot of printers, everywhere, producing parts, but reaching those that arent looking for you on 3dhubs etc is the key.

Engineer-in-Training
    I wouldn't want to bank on a biz based printing for others. The industrialized market for big business has costs coming down asa service and the printing market as a whole has gotten easier for your average joe. Like the above poster stated. Look for a niche market.

My plan, Once i get my printer set up and running, is to design a selection of items and produce to order, i have looked into a variety of applications that i could turn 3D printing too and i have come up with a few little idea's, Without giving too much away to my potential competitors (You Guys!) i have noticed a niche in an area of the motor industry and one in shooting, Nothing thats going to make me bill gates's neighbour but its a start, as i have stated in my post, i am extremely excited by the whole idea of 3d Printing and see a bright future ahead, a lot of people are talking about joining websites / services and printing their items for them, to be honest thats not the way i intend to go, i want to design and create my own products, obviously if that plan fails then it will be printing printer parts for ebay!

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    Welcome to the club! One suggestion, advice -- it helps to have the wonder & awe of a child, the ferocity of a lion, & the calmness of a saint in building a business.