Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Makerfarm 12 vs Rostock Max V2

OK I'm stuck and need some help. What direction should I go? I have 1k to spend and can't decide between the 2 machines. Do they have comparable print speeds? Any input would be great. Thanks

link to Rostock?
    Quote Originally Posted by jprochnow View Post
    OK I'm stuck and need some help. What direction should I go? I have 1k to spend and can't decide between the 2 machines. Do they have comparable print speeds? Any input would be great. Thanks

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    SeemeCNC is a high quality operation and you will get a good version of the rostock from them. You can get faster print speeds with a delta due to the different movement system and smaller end effector mass. the biggest con with delta is that you're pretty much limited to Bowden tube extrusion and the limitations of that system with control of how much filament extrudes. With a cartesian printer it's slower but potentially capable of higher quality due to the ability to use gear drive extrusion. If you're going with a prusa design cartesian printer (bed moves in Y axis) then makerfarm is the best bang for the buck. The build volumes are different size/shape between the two types. If youre going for an xy cartesian (bed moves in Z axis), I would honestly get a makerbot rip like a Wanhao duplicator or flashforge. These are nice if you're lookng at enclosing/ adding heat to the build volume.

If you do go delta take a look at openbeam usa. I like their kossel kit design very much and I think it's close to your range.

Technologist
    I wish I could give you an operational comparison...

I'm at the early stages of building the 12" i3v. The top 3 contenders for me were PrintRBot's Metal Plus, the Rostock Max, and the i3v.

The Rostock and and i3v were the final options.

Ultimately, I went with what felt like the "safe" choice, the i3v.

Random "reasons":

• Calibration of a cartesian machine feels more intuitive. In practice, I imagine once a Delta is dialed in, it's great, but I wanted more to focus my energy on MY projects, and not necessarily the machine itself. The trig based discussions relating to Delta quirks is facinating, but not where I'm at.
    • Probably more useful build volume than the Rostock. Many of my projects are gonna tend to the "wide" side rather than the "tall" side.
    • Community support. The planet is awash with cartesian support. Mind you, the SeeMeCNC folks have a great forum, and the delta community is actually pretty active and visible.
    • Kinda going back to the first point, I live in a rural area, and "subtle" mechanical projects are a bit more difficult to support in such places, even in the age of Amazon et al. So..., the i3v kinda has the appeal of a "tractor"..., it's simple, and generally easy to repair "in the field".

Heh..., I guess you could say it was a Harley vs Ducati decision. I went w/ the Harley (tho..., yah..., I ride a Ducati ).

Thanks for the response. I am considering the makerfarm 12 as a coworker is selling it. It has 1 hexagon nozzle installed and a second one included that is a bit banged up but usable. It has a Meanwell 12v ps. The only thing I'm unsure about is its setup for 3mm filament. He is asking 590 for the setup.

Put it this way, my first 3d printer was a rostock max v2, i sold it, and now own a 12" prusa i3v.
    Its not that the rostock was bad, but the filament limitation is real. I couldnt print any soft filaments at all.
    THe size of that printer is misleading. It has a good size build volume, but its circular, so its cut off on each corner. and you cant use the outside 1" or so usually, so the prusa has a HUGE leg up on real estate.

I know what i own now vs what i sold, and im in no way dissapointed in my decision.

Ok looks like i'm going with the makerfarm 12. It has ramps 1.4 installed on it. What do people think of 3mm filament?

3mm filament is fine. most of us use 1.75mm but there are advantages to 3mm.. you can good the differences and get some good info there too.
    welcome to the club if you do buy it

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    i'm all 3mm. No performance concerns and pretty much no limitations on filaments being available in 3mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast