Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MakerBot Filament Only in new Replicator?

I've heard a rumor that only MakerBot brand filament will work in the new line of Replicator printers. Is this true?

As far as I know, this is true. The new printers are only compatible with MakerBot Filament. You can't blame them. Look at 2D printing. All 2D printers are only compatible with certain ink cartridges. This is one of the main ways 2D Printers prices came down from $1000 all the way down to $100+. I expect the same thing to happen in the 3D printing industry. 3D printer manufacturers like Makerbot can take a loss on the sale of their printers because they know they will make it back in filament sales, and perhaps even digital design sales.

Quote Originally Posted by frederick78 View Post
    I've heard a rumor that only MakerBot brand filament will work in the new line of Replicator printers. Is this true?
    No.
    You can use any 1.75mm PLA filament on the Makerbot, however, only the Makerbot PLA Filament will fit inside the "chamber", as its a new type of design on the spool.
    Rep_GalleryImage3.jpg

You can always "respool" it when it's empty, with a PLA spool that you have bought elsewhere.

Or you can just simply have the spool outside of the printer and use it normally.

Thanks for clearing that up Merko! This was one thing that was preventing me from wanting the new Replicator. Respooling shouldn't be too difficult, should it?

Quote Originally Posted by frederick78 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up Merko! This was one thing that was preventing me from wanting the new Replicator. Respooling shouldn't be too difficult, should it?
    I would think not.

I mean its just some plastic wire pretty much. I bougth 4 extra spools (5 total) with my new Replicator, so i can easily swap between them when i manage to respool them, so i recommend that you buy atleast 2-3 spools that are from makerbot that u can use

It's really a pretty smart idea by MakerBot. If they can find a way to limit the filament to only their own, they could afford to drastically drop the prices of their hardware (printers) by making their profits off of filament. Although we may not like it, in the long run, it will help the 3D Printing industry by lowering the price of hardware significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by ImaginationProgress View Post
    It's really a pretty smart idea by MakerBot. If they can find a way to limit the filament to only their own, they could afford to drastically drop the prices of their hardware (printers) by making their profits off of filament. Although we may not like it, in the long run, it will help the 3D Printing industry by lowering the price of hardware significantly.
    I rather want high price on hardware instead of paying a lot of $$ for filament that i will be using a lot..

Quote Originally Posted by Merko View Post
    I rather want high price on hardware instead of paying a lot of $$ for filament that i will be using a lot..
    I agree, but this is kinda how the 2D Printer market ended up so successful. People realized that they could have a printer for as little as $300 (15 years ago), so everyone went out and got one. They didn't realize how much the toner or ink cartridges cost until after they started going through it. Personally I'd like to see different companies go in different directions. I'd like to see more of the open source type things that can take any filament, as well as larger companies greatly reducing their prices to win over consumers with the hardware.

You have to realize that MakerBot is now a part of Stratasys and they have always used proprietary Filament cartridges. Their cartridges are chipped so you are stuck buying from them. They claim they do this so they can control the quality of the material.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnA136 View Post
    You have to realize that MakerBot is now a part of Stratasys and they have always used proprietary Filament cartridges. Their cartridges are chipped so you are stuck buying from them. They claim they do this so they can control the quality of the material.
    That is not true. Well, not for the Makerbot 3D Printers, if that what you ment.

For their big toys, it's probably true

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast