Close

Sheared off Extruder Head need help

So I have a flash forge creator pro and when tightening/ replacing the extruder head I broke it off inside the block. Before you ask yes I did preheat the block before I tried to change the head. My question is this does anyone know what size easy out I would need to get to remove the remaining bits that are still stuck inside? I really don't want to replace the whole assembly because of a boneheaded mistake.

Thanks in advance,
    Syden

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Well the inside of the nozzle is 4mm. A lot of eazy outs are tapered, so start with one at 1/8" and it probably tapers up to 3/16" or so.

There is a Flashforge forum and you should probably post this in there also. Here is the deal with the flash forge heater block setup. When they ship the nozzle is screwed all the way into the block. What this does is stretch the threads since once the hex part of the nozzle hits the block it stops going deeper. However the threads keep trying to go a little deeper. Do this a few times and the soft brass weakens and it will snap.

The correct way of installing the nozzle is to first fully seat the upper heat break tube into the block. Then put the nozzle in and tighten to the heat break tube. You will see that the nozzle doesn't fully go in anymore. This isn't how the nozzle/block ships but it will prevent the breakage.

Technician
    just watch out... if you break the ez-out inside something, it's almost impossible to drill it out.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I don't think a steel easyout will be broken by soft brass and aluminum. Might even be able to get it out by heating a little then jamming a flat blade screwdriver into the brass piece and turning it out.