Close

Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse

Angry weird cracking with ABS

I made a item with white ABS from E-SUN for a customer, to which he showed me that it cracked like crazy. This isn't any normal cracking...it looks like delaminated. Other areas just plain cracked about 1/2" long. I've NEVER seen this before. The only thing I can think of was that the acetone bath did something to it somehow? If anyone has any idea, please let me know.
    ABS-crack-2.jpg

Engineer
    Looks like it was peeled after the acetone bath or something?

I dunno. The guy said it flaked off. I don't know if I believe him or not. It's just weird.

Student
    Follow Ella Yang On Twitter Add Ella Yang on Facebook
    As a 3d plastic filament manufacturer, I think maybe the problem in the raw material of ABS.
    People mixed another plastic into ABS while producing ABS filament, in plastic industry it was called "off-grade ABS", it'll happen this crack,

Quote Originally Posted by Ella Yang View Post
    As a 3d plastic filament manufacturer, I think maybe the problem in the raw material of ABS.
    People mixed another plastic into ABS while producing ABS filament, in plastic industry it was called "off-grade ABS", it'll happen this crack,
    I hadn't thought of that. So "off-grade ABS" will flake off and delaminate? I'm assuming it looks like this because the layers seperated?

Student
    Follow Ella Yang On Twitter Add Ella Yang on Facebook
    Yes, sometimes off-grade ABS will cause problems, because it's impurities, it's not same as 100% brand new raw material ABS. And the raw material price for off-grade is much cheaper, but there are still some good quality off-grade plastics, but unstable quality are the most.

well, I think you should check with Esun stuff for real answer.

Engineer
    No, the problem is that you were ever so slightly underextruding. Your flow rate was just a touch low causing the edges of the extrusions to not touch. Each perimeter was actually not bonded with the one next to it.