Close

Mcor Iris HD vs Projet 660

Have been looking at 3D color printers for some time now. There seems to be only 2 options for me on the market right now unless i have missed something? Mcor Iris HD or projet 660. My main application is archeology and reconstructions/visualizations. My company is specialized in documenting shipwrecks and is developing a method for underwater photogrmetry. Currently we are working on the shipwreck Mars sunk in 1564 read more in this national Geographic article http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...ology-science/

We have been documenting the site for 2 years now capturing more than 20 000 images to produce a 3D model of never before seen detail under water. The example image shows a slice of the wreck site prepared for 3D print. Our goal is to print the entire site in scale 1:10 or 1:20 which means the model will be 4m-2 m long. This of course will be super expensive to print. I have been researching different printers and the only ones that seem to be able to do the job is 3D systems projet or Mcor Iris HD. What would be the best choice for a print job like this? Projet material is very expensive and the Mcore uses cheap paper. What about the print quality? Does the Projets have better print and color quality do you think. Also the Mcore is cheaper to buy at around 45 000 USD: My main concern with the Mcor would be printing small details and holes and crevasses in the model. Will un used material be stuck in crevasses in the complicated model?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff Engineer
    Yes, it looks like that pile of debris would be a real nightmare to "weed" (that's the technical term for picking out all the little shreds of material left in the cracks). I think the ProJet would be a better bet, since it's powder-based, but sure, it probably will be more expensive.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well there are pros and cons with each. Both have a fair bit of post processing - the mcor prints don't just have to have the paper removed they also need to be soaked in resin and 'dried' (set, whatever) before reaching strength. On the other hand the colour is outstanding.
    But one thing you don't see on their stands at shows are finely detailed and intricate mechanism type models.
    Hmm, that said - check this out: http://mcortechnologies.com/dispelli...printing-blog/

The colour on the projets is good.
    Machine does most of the post processing for you.
    Has larger build volume.
    More expensive media.

But is more likely to do what you want it to do.
    Realistically

There is a Projet 460 Plus from 3D Systems that prints in color, though it is only in cyan, magenta and yellow and not black, which gives it a lower color gamut. The print area is 8" x 10" x 8" and it sells for about the same price as the Mcor printer. The Projet 660 adds black ink and a larger build area of 15" x 10" x 8" but would be an additional $24k or so depending on how you configured it. I'm a 3D Systems reseller and can answer any questions you have on the Projet line.

Engineer
    i have seen the mcor in person. its definitely a really cool machine. the color and realism is pretty amazing. just from watching it work in person it doesnt look like there are any strands or anything to weed. it prints color on the edges, applies glue, cuts then picks up the paper and puts it on the stack and presses it together into a glued up stack. unfortunately thats all i know. they did have parts there that were printed in a wood grain and it looked real.