Close

Engineer

Hershey Enters 3D Printing Industry

Today Hershey's Chocolate announced that they have teamed with 3D Systems, the world largest 3D Printing company to explore the possibilities of 3D Printing technology within their company. Hershey is the oldest chocolate company in the United States, and has over 14,000 employees, while bringing in 6.6 billion in revenue annually.

This is yet another example of just how fast the 3D Printing industry is growing. It seems like every day we have one or two major companies entering the industry in one way or another. "We believe that innovation is key to delivering relevant, compelling consumer experiences with our iconic brands. Whether it's creating a whole new form of candy or developing a new way to produce it, we embrace new technologies such as 3-D printing as a way to keep moving our timeless confectionery treats into the future." stated William Papa, Hershey's vice president and chief research and development officer.

It is unknown what the partnership will ultimately lead to, but it is interesting to note that last week 3D Systems announced their ChefJet 3D Candy Printing line.

Wow, 3D printing and chocolate! Two of my favorite things. It will be interesting to watch when they do with this. Does anyone remember the pneumatic extruder option that was available on the original MakerBot printer, the Cupcake? We used one at Maker Faire NY 2010 to extrude designs on toast with Nutella. The kids loved it!

Banned
    Yes I recall that extruder. I think Food will be a huge market for 3D Printing, not as big as the manufacturing and medical fields but could easily e a $500 million annual business in the next few years. It's so refreshing to see all these major companies adopting the technology.