Close

Thread: Resin dye

Engineer-in-Training

Resin dye

presumably you could buy the natural resin and add your own pigments or dyes to color it ? As long as the dye doesn't affect the curing properties.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by nka View Post
    It occurs to me that unless you want to color a large amount of resin, various size buoyancy rings which float on and a few millimeters into the surface of the resin, would be useful. This would allow you to select a ring only slightly larger than maximum x,y for the object to be printed. The ring may need to be loosely tethered by 3 cords at 120 degrees to prevent drift. This idea could drastically reduce the volume of resin required. Could that work?????
    Last edited by mike_biddell; 01-16-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Engineer-in-Training

buoyancy rings

Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell View Post
    It occurs to me that unless you want to color a large amount of resin, various size buoyancy rings which float on and a few millimeters into the surface of the resin, would be useful. This would allow you to select a ring only slightly larger than maximum x,y for the object to be printed. The ring may need to be loosely tethered by 3 cords at 120 degrees to prevent drift. This idea could drastically reduce the volume of resin required. Could that work?????
    *into the saline to contain the resin.... thus forming a small disc of resin on the saline surface*

Engineer-in-Training
    Absolutely. However, with the peachy printer, you can just change the reservoirs, and therefore negate the need for a floating ring. Want smaller prints? Use a smaller reservoir.

Maybe have three sets of reservoirs would help? A small, medium, and large could solve the problem, and be of minimal annoyance.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuvin View Post
    Absolutely. However, with the peachy printer, you can just change the reservoirs, and therefore negate the need for a floating ring. Want smaller prints? Use a smaller reservoir.

Maybe have three sets of reservoirs would help? A small, medium, and large could solve the problem, and be of minimal annoyance.
    I hear what you say, but I think floating a ring on the surface would allow absolute minimum of resin to be used and be less of a faff than changing the tanks.

Engineer-in-Training

Rings

I hear what you say, but I think floating a ring on the surface would allow absolute minimum of resin to be used and be less of a faff than changing the tanks.
    You could also print a set of rings of various sizes, with buoyancy voids as necessary

Engineer-in-Training
    You could also print a set of rings of various sizes, with buoyancy voids as necessary
    Oh nice, I hadn't thought of that.

What would you use to bind the ring to keep it from floating all over the reservoir? 3 strings, sure, but bound to what? Rods that run op the reservoir?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuvin View Post
    Oh nice, I hadn't thought of that.

What would you use to bind the ring to keep it from floating all over the reservoir? 3 strings, sure, but bound to what? Rods that run op the reservoir?
    tethered to vertical rods that run up the reservoir, or radial projections that radiate out from the circle to touch the sides of the tank

tethered to vertical rods that run up the reservoir, or radial projections that radiate out from the circle to touch the sides of the tank
    That's what I was thinking. No reason to use strings or anything. You know the size/shape of your container. Just print arms attached to the ring that almost touch each side of your container.