Close

Thread: 10" Y Plate

Threaded View

Technologist

10" Y Plate

With all the talk about the 12" Aluminum Y Plate, I decided to revisit my design for a 10" Y wood Plate substitute. I started redoing mine similar to the photo adamfilip shared
    & it morphed into this. I started playing with printing half or part of it to test the hole pattern & realized I might actually be able to make a functional
    Plastic Y plate. This reminds me of some of the quadcopter designs I have seen. I have not printed any of this yet as I thought some of you might be able to give
    some better ideas or tell me I am wasting my time making this out of plastic. Obviously, this would have to be printed in ABS or other plastic that is heat resistant. I attached a photo, scad file & stl files for your amusement. I drew the profile in draftsight & use openscad to generate the stl files. I rotated the stl files 45 degs. to fit
    on the build plate. The photo shows the 10" build plate in Magenta color (I made this reference 240mm square), the black vertical lines are the aluminum
    extrusions. The Blue profile is the bottom half, cyan is top plate. I added 4 extra wheel holes, mostly to be able to test the spacing of the holes with only
    half plotted. I probably only need 2 of those holes in the middle. I am not planning to use the square holes, but a plastic part to hold the belt. The Green rectangles
    along the Y axis will be bolted using those 8 bolt holes. I could put one on top & bottom to stiffen it more. It will probably need some more stiffening along
    the X-axis also which I could fix by adding a ledge underneath. I could also make the plate thicker for more strength, but probably need longer screws. I plan to print this in PLA in a day or so to test the hole spacing. If this does not work, I will probably look into having this made in aluminum at some point.

Thanks for taking a look at this & any comments will be helpful.
    -David
    YBuildPlate_10inchTestPrint_rev7.scadYBuildPlate_10inchTest_BottomSide_rev7_repaired.stlYBuildPlate_10inchTest_TopSide_rev7_TopSide_repaired.stl
    Attached Images Attached Images