Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Engineer

3D Printing Business - Could it be profitable?

What do you guys think? My buddies and I have been thinking about starting a 3D printing business locally here in South Florida. Is something like this in demand? We would set up a shop with some high tech 3D printers and print different items for companies and individuals locally? Has anyone seen a model like this work yet, or is it still too early, whereas there are not enough people excited about 3D printing yet? Any insight would be awesome!

Larry

I have a buddy who is in the process of doing something like this now. As for profit, I know it can be profitable, but I guess that depends on your area, and the demographics in your area. 3D printing is taking off, but some areas are drawing a lot more interest than others.

--jackson

I know these are big in large cities like NYC. Also some chain stores are beginning to offer 3D Print services such as Staples. I assume there is money to be made, however you need to find the right market in my opinion.

Banned
    There is no doubt in my mind that there will be hundreds of billions of dollars made within the 3D Printing industry over the coming decade. Think of 2013 as 1979 in the Personal computer industry. Things are just getting started. There wil be a lot of vertical and horizontal growth in the coming few years. There are so many possibly great ideas which could make millions for the right person. A storefront type business with the right innovations could do amazing things, but the real money will be in the service sectors.

I think you are better off starting something like this in a large city. If you are in South Florida, do it in Miami. That seems like a perfect place. There are tons of artsy people with lots of money there. Keep in mind that other parts of Florida are filled with old people that don't exactly know much about 3D Printing, and if they do, they probably don't care.

Technician
    I am allmost ready to start my own 3D print webshop (with 3D prints). So I hope, there is a market for.

Banned
    Agreed, something like this will not work in a smaller town...at least it won't yet. In 2 to 3 years perhaps.

First, you have to figure out the things you can do to earn money, such as: sell printers, sell prints, sell print time, sell CAD design services.
    Then you have to have a customer base. Who will buy printers from you when they can buy them online? Who will pay high prices for a custom print? Who needs print time but can't afford their own printer?
    I have over a thousand hours of working with the public regarding 3D printers. The majority want to look, watch the machine print, but they want to pay mass production prices for the things you make (very very cheap).
    It's a very risky business at this point, but there has to be a good business model.

If you want to print things for other people, you have to source your customers online rather than at a physical location. This will decrease your costs as well as increase your customer base.

Except of course if you're planning to sell impulse buys like 3D figurines of the customer. In which case, get to a high-traffic location as you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    3D Printing Business - Could it be profitable?
    This is borderline off topic... I haven't sold anything I printed but it has been Super Profitable for me!!! All of my professors (and students) at school have heard of 3D Printing and understand industry (and society) is at an inflection point. But none of them have seen things actually printed. For any big assignment, especially group assignments, I find a way to print something for it. And it always gets tons of attention. I know I'm getting better grades than I would otherwise because of it. In most of the big group presentations the professors have asked if they can keep the gadget that got printed. (And of course... The answer always is "Yes!, I can print another!") In the big group presentations, the next presenter usually complains the professor was distracted and playing with the gadgets I handed out and not listening to them. Oh Well! The group got a good grade!

But of course... You are talking about Profitable in a money sense, so we can get back On-Topic now....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast