Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Teenager Creates a Fully 3D Printed Vice

While we've seen a few 3D printed tools emerge over the last few months, they've tended to be along the lines of a wrench or multi-tool -- but now, a 17 year old from France has created a fully 3D printed vice. Adrien Mary, who learned 3D printing techniques in high school, purchased his own 3D printer last summer. The vice was inspired by his current job, where he uses such tools regularly. Designed in Dassault Systèmes' CATIA V5 software, then 3D printed on Mary's Ultimaker 2, the vice includes six parts--and he put the STL files on Thingiverse. The next iteration the teen hopes to make will use stronger ColorFabb XT filament to enhance the tool's strength. Check out more details in the full article: http://3dprint.com/55717/3d-printed-vice/

Below is a photo of the 3D printed vice:

Student
    Vise, not vice.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Well, 3D printing could be a vice Guess it depends on what you print. I was a teenager quite a few decades ago. I can imagine what a teenager of today might print that would qualify as a vice. The photo above is NOT one of them.

Vice - Immoral habit.
    Vise - Tool to clamp or hold items.

"Teenager Creates a Fully 3D Printed Vice".... Boy, the mind runs rampant at the possibilities.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    It would be a Vice to continue to use this Vise, since we all know the strength of 3F materials......

Add Geoff on Thingiverse
    Don't worry Brian... I've always spelled it Vice, thanks for the English lesson chaps...

It does look very solid, I don't know if I'd be metal working with it, but as a wood Vise it looks superb!
    Hex3D - 3D Printing and Design http://www.hex3d.com

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    with things of any size you start to get into the realm of: 'yeah i can print this, but it'd be cheaper to just go buy one from the cheap tool store.'

That said - if this can be scaled down, then there are a bunch of uses for a lightweight plastic vice/vise

As I'm currently havig a bastard of a time printing large pieces with cheap filament, I don't think I'll be tackling afull size one any time soon. The only actual clever bit is the threading.
    The rest would be a 3 minute job in openscad.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marm View Post
    It would be a Vice to continue to use this Vise, since we all know the strength of 3F materials......
    yeah with the right infill - bloody strong !
    the colorfabb xt is a lot stronger than abs.

Now if you were to use some of the fff materials the markforge can put out. it would be strong enough (with a deeper thread) for metal working. And lightweight.

For someone who travelled and needed a decent sized vise, one made from kevlar or carbon fibre might actually be worth the cost.

Student
    Follow Adrien_12 On Twitter Add Adrien_12 on Thingiverse
    Hello,

I know the post is a little bit old, but I am the designer of this Vise,

I'm very sorry for my spelling, I don't speak very well english, that's why I made the mistake of writing Vice instead of Vise,

And I have made this design because I needed a vise for small jobs (electronics,small repair ..) and the idea was to make this wis my 3D printer, in the "do it yourself" philosophy,

I am fully aware it would be easier to buy one, it would be more solid etc, but I wanted to make it

The idea of my design is what can serve to everyone without necessarily needing Additional object, I could put a screw and a nut, it would have been better, But nobody ever finds the same parts

I don't know if I was clear about what I said, ans If it has been well said,

If you have questions, I will answer with pleasure

Best regards,
    Adrien

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Adrien,

I don't think anyone expects non-native speakers to know the language as well as those who speak it natively - much less journalists. They were making fun of the journalist's mistake, not yours.

You made a good model, and you should not be ashamed of anything here.

Student
    Follow Adrien_12 On Twitter Add Adrien_12 on Thingiverse
    Ok thanks,

it's a bit my fault too, I have written like this in the beginning (but I have corrected the error on the website or I have shared)

But I'm still very happy that my design is here !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast