Close

Best Dual-Extruder Printer between 1000€- and 1500€

Hi Guys! English isn't my mother-tongue so pls overlook the mistakes I'm going to make!

Since Christmas i dug deep into 3D-printing, cause my parents got me the "GermanRepRap Neo" as present.
    I really really love this thing since the technology is simply amazing! But with just 1 Extruder you can push the Neo pretty far to its limits, since there is no simple way of adding a heatbed, display etc... Also the Breakaway-Support-technique isn't optimal for printing overhangs!

So i decided to get myself a better printer, one that has 2 extruders!

On google there aren't really much (useful) reviews on different printers, but what i found so far is the FlashForge Dreamer in its 2015-Version (the one with the two fans). It looks like a pretty solid printer as far as the specifications go. But it has some pretty big cons: The printer is made out of plastic, the printbed is fixed in the printer and can't be taken out and the filament-spools are unique size and so far it seems that the only way for of getting those original spools is buying it from America... A thing that for me as Austrian (the small country in Europe without kangaroos) is quite expensive, due to immense shipping costs.

But there are so many others like, Ultimakers, Makerbots, Flashforge Creator Pro etc etc.... and those are hard to compare!
    Thats where I need your help, since you probably know the scene way better than me!

If I gave you 1500€ right now and ask you to get me the best printer possible what would you choose?
    I want a printer with 2 Extruders capable of printing PVA and PLA and maybe ABS. Printbedsize should be somewhat 200*150*150mm or lager. If possible SUpport located in Europe would be nice
    Most of the time i spend printing Models from Computergames, so not really any prototyping!

greetz Mares

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    You should look at an SLA printer if you want to print small features, like figurines from video games.

Hi!

Well even though i really like the technology its way out of financial borders. There is Formlabs that sells an SLA-Printer closly under 5000€ not to speak of the actually pretty high printing-costs...

Engineer
    If you gave me $1500 to get the type of printer you are mostly asking for, I would probably go buy 2 Powerspec 3D pro's. If not, that I would probably get the Flashforge creator pro. But I'd still look into option A.

I bought a printrbot metal plus dual : it's reliable and nice.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    not sure you can get printrbots cheaply in europe. postage from the states and import tax will almost double the actual cost.
    the metal plus dual extruder with heated bed is $1399 - once you add p&P and tax that's going to be well over 2000 euros.

A flashforge pro equivalent - can be had off ebay in someone's own country for a lot less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    the metal plus dual extruder with heated bed is $1399 - once you add p&P and tax that's going to be well over 2000 euros.
    Thankfully for me that is not true. I paid under 1800$ - and I had a few extras on the shipment. Admittedly though, the exchange rate is getting worse.

I would definitely go for the Flashforge Creator Pro rather than the Dreamer. They use similar mechanics but the Dreamer seems to use different software rather than the very familiar Makerware or Replicator G solutions. The only thing you'll not get with the Pro is the autolevelling bed which is not a great benefit since the Pro's print bed is greatly improved over the standard Creator models. The touch screen of the Dreamer is merely a gimmick.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    Thankfully for me that is not true. I paid under 1800$ - and I had a few extras on the shipment. Admittedly though, the exchange rate is getting worse.
    that's till 300 more than his budget :-)

But yeah, still haven't heard anything bad about printrbots. I'd probably try and stretch my budget.