Close

E3D's New Volcano Hotend - 2.5X Faster Prints

Print speed is a hot issue with many makers. To address that hot issue, E3D has introduced new hotend products that effectively allow makers to upgrade their 3D printers. The latest, and most interesting, upgrade is the Volcano, which allows anyone with an E3D-v6, Chimera, Kraken, or v5/4 extruder to modify it with the Volcano, turning their printer into a high-speed 3D printing beast. Printed objects will also be stronger than previous types, due to thicker layers. The Volcano can print objects up to 250% faster -- check out details about how it works in the full article: http://3dprint.com/33543/e3d-new-volcano-hotend/

Let us know if you have purchased and installed this hotend on your 3D printer. How does it work? Are your prints much faster? How about the quality and strength? Below is a comparison chart of the Volcano versus a v6 printer:

Engineer
    Can't call it innovation when they drill a bigger hole...

It's more than a bigger hole. The heating block has been redesigned to support faster flow through the nozzle.

I've just finished installing mine and printed the 20mm calibration cube out in 2 minutes 30, where it used to take over 6. Still tweaking the parameters to get the best possible print, but it looks promising. I've not tested layer adhesion yet. I'm planning to print something in vase mode to see how it performs.

I have the volcano and I am trying to print pla on it. I am using the 1.2mm end to product a 1mm layer. I keep the bed nice and warm at 60 degrees C. I use hairspray. I would normally print at 20% of 100mm per sec for the first layer. But its not sticking. I have slowed it down to 20% of 40mm per sec and it does stick for the first layer to the glass. But when I print the second layer and beyond, it does not really stick. It kind of pulls. Some times it stick but not all the time.

Does anyone have any suggestions ?? Should I set the PLA to a higher temp. Anything else. I have no idea.

Thanks Steven

What's your extrusion width? If it's less than or equal to 1.2mm you'll have the problems you're describing.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'd think try a higher temp.

So today I used the 1.2mm nozzle and set the layer height to .8 vs 1.00mm. In slicer I have the extrusion width set to 0 which is automatic. I boosted the temp to 230 degrees c. The first layer is beautiful. But the second layers does not grip and it pulls. What temp is everyone else who is using this hot end printing with. Any suggestions ???

I've found that using Slic3r's default extrusion width I can have problems. Try setting it to 1.4mm. I print PLA at 205 degrees C - 230 is a bit too hot.

I'm actually intrigued. Has anybody tried using one with a flashforge creator?