Close

i3v extruder stopping(clicking) a portion of the way into the print

I'll get about 20% of the way into the print and everything is going fine, then the extruder will start clicking and won't turn.

I have the voltage set for it at about .44V. I know the build guide says to go below .39 but it wouldn't turn at any lower voltage.

Pretty lost on this one.

Technician
    Unfortunately this can happen for a number of reasons. Many questions follow in an attempt to narrow down the root cause.

What's your setup (hotend, nozzle size, filament (size, material, vendor), extruder temperature)? Can you move the filament easily by hand when the nozzle is hot? If hexagon or other all metal hotend do you have a fan blowing on the cooling fins? How hot is the extruder motor when it skips? Extruder temperature is stable? Filament comes cleanly off the spool? Does this happen consistently?

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have the .35mm J-Head and I'm using ABS that I got from maker farm. I just started printing and I've only printed twice but it's happened both times. The motor feels warm but isn't hot to the touch. Filament is coming off the spool fine. I'll look into those other things. Thanks again.

Do you see the large extruder gear trying to turn and hear it clunking? Does it start to move on its own if you help it along? If this sounds familiar, make sure the 2 long bolts on the guidler (the ones with the springs on them) are tightened and even.

Quote Originally Posted by mattanonymous View Post
    Do you see the large extruder gear trying to turn and hear it clunking? Does it start to move on its own if you help it along? If this sounds familiar, make sure the 2 long bolts on the guidler (the ones with the springs on them) are tightened and even.
    That might be it, it will start to turn if I help it a little. Thanks.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the filament getting stuck. I was able to finish a print so it's not consistent.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by markmark View Post
    That might be it, it will start to turn if I help it a little. Thanks.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the filament getting stuck. I was able to finish a print so it's not consistent.
    this honestly sound like the peek insulator is not getting good cooling hows the fan mounted can you post a pic

http://i.imgur.com/ebycUpM.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/T9PnCkN.jpg

There's two pictures of the extruder. I am just now realizing that I do have quite a bit of kapton tape on there.

It should be noted that when it does start clicking and not turning during a print if I stop it and immediately start to manually turn the gear(not by hand but by going through the LCD interface) the extruder will turn just fine and the filament will come out.