Close

Build Finished ... Is this normal?

Finished Building my 12" i3v with only a couple of issues.

I found on a couple of the axis that there was not enough adjustment with the eccentric spacers to fully remove any play. This was fixed by loosening the rails and making sure there was the maximum distance between then when they were re tightened.

The main "gotcha" for me was the non-functioning extruder motor, spent a few hours trying to sort that out before finally concluding that the motor was OK but the driver board may be dead. A quick e-Mail to Colin gave the response "Is the hot end hotter than 180?" Well it wasn't, but when it was all went well! Must've missed that nugget of information in my reading!

The only couple of concerns I have now is with the GLCD and its rotary encoder.
    If I push the button I get into the menu
    To get to the second item in the menu takes 3 clicks when turning to knob
    To get to the third item takes another 3 clicks, but to go back to the second item only takes 1 click, to bounce between these two items only
    takes 1 click, but to get from the third item to the fourth requires 3 clicks again. This is repeatable through all menus and sub menus. Is this normal?

The other issue is in the Move Axis sub menu. If I select 1mm as the increment, one click moves the axis 2mm as measured and displayed on the screen. Again is this normal?

Thanks for any insight

ex-egll

Technician
    Cold extrusion prevention seems to catch almost everyone off-guard.

I hadn't noticed before (I don't use the LCD controls much), but yeah the number of detents in the knob to move through the UI does seem inconsistent (or perhaps consistently following an unusual pattern.) And I also have 2mm movements through the Move Axis menu. If there is something wrong with your machine then it looks like it is also wrong with mine, but as I said, I don't use the LCD much and it hasn't affected printing so I don't much care.

...welcome to marlin... If i didnt need to print so much right now i would be trying others...

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    The LCD detents are usually 2 digits for some reason. if you really want to click the single digit, print a decently large knob and then hold it between detents and press - you can still select when in between detents.

there is some type of known problem with the 1mm moves via lcd you can find info on if you search here/reprap wiki. 10mm works fine. Most people use pronterface/cura/octoprint to do their movements rather than the LCD since it's a bit of a pain to use all the time. Great when you need it though.

Engineer
    In your configuration.h, down near the bottom will be settings for LCD screens and buttons. For mine, the non-graphical lcd, I changed these two lines:

#define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 2 // Increase if you have a high resolution encoder
    #define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 1 // Set according to ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP or your liking

Play with those numbers to see if you can get it working better.

Thanks for the responses. I'll look at the config.h once the novelty of printing wears off!!

Resolved

Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    In your configuration.h, down near the bottom will be settings for LCD screens and buttons. For mine, the non-graphical lcd, I changed these two lines:

#define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 2 // Increase if you have a high resolution encoder
    #define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 1 // Set according to ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP or your liking

Play with those numbers to see if you can get it working better.
    After a few days playing around with all aspects of the code, I finally got around to trying the above suggestion which solved the problem. Thanks AbuMaia.

The solution was to change

// #define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 1 to
    #define ENCODER_PULSES_PER_STEP 2

and

// #define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 5 to
    #define ENCODER_STEPS_PER_MENU_ITEM 2

In my config.h these were lines 559 and 560.