Close

Makerbot 2 - Model splits horizontally.

Hey,

I am having problems with a model, which i printed using the makerbot 2. The model is almost divided into 2 parts, a horizontal line goes through the model and almost split the model i 2 parts. The 3d file from makerbot desktop looks fine without any form for errors. Can somebody explain why the makerbot does this?

The model is printed using the standard settings. The makerbot desktop estimated the print time to about 7 hours and 37mins, but the makerbot 2 printed it in about 5-6 hours..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Technician
    Hi there,
    1. did you check STL for errors?
    If not use NetFabb (or some other) and see it for errors there.

2. Your model is quite big. You have to take into consideration material shrinkage during cooling - aslo.

3. from pics you gave look like there was maybe some problem with filament extrusion on that particular segment.
    If you are using Replicator 2 then this is something that has been seen before. Clean it and it should be fine.
    Also use Dust filter. I helps a lot.

Regards
    Roberto

Hey Roberto,

I did check the model for errors but there wasn't any errors. I also used Netfabb to check afterwards to check for error.
    I did a error check again and did print it again, and there was not any errors the 2nd time...

Yeah the model has the same size as the plate. Do you have any suggestion to avoid shrinkage?

I have been having some problems with the extruder the last 2 days, I get different extrusion from layer to layer.(see picture) I have tried to level the plate again, but keeps getting some errors with the extruder.
    The extruder has just been replaced, so I don't really know if its broken or just need cleaning..

IMG_0931.jpgIMG_0932.jpg

Technician
    Hi there
    look like you have underextrusion problem.
    Cleaning extruder would be good idea. Just make sure not to damage nozzle tip.
    Do loading of filament and observe extrusion. If its even and without irregularities then only is OK.

Use Dust fileter.
    If you don't have one then you can get it here:
    https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...t=file%2cthing
    put some spunge inside and spray it with WD40.
    Put that fileter on top of extruder just before filament goes into extruder.

To avoid shrinkage completely is unfortunately not possible.
    You can reduce tensions by use of small holes in model.
    Or try to keep model environment a bit hotter then normal using air heater. But do not exaggurate here....

Regards
    Roberto

Ditto on the dust filter recommendation but i actually use canola oil as the lubricant instead of WD40. Never used WD40 but since it already has 1000 uses, lubricating filament could just be one more to the list.

if you don't use a dust filter, you can still add a drop of canola oil (or wd40 )on a section of filament just before it gets pulled into the extruder. Lubricating the filament can be a huge help and definately worth doing.