Close

Technologist

Question Printing with right extruder, fan runs on the left

I'm wondering if the wires are crossed.

Is it normal for the fan to run on the left extruder when printing with only the right extruder?

Technician
    Is the printer new? Have you ever taken the extruders apart? It could be crossed wires, but it could also just be accidentally swapped fans. The fans are pretty easy to swap, though you have to keep track of the little plastic spacers. Here's one video demonstration of extruder tear-down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4w5wBiGR4 That's actually more work than you really need. If you follow the first steps in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmIY9_6s8Ss and then swap the fans and re-attach them, you'll have fixed your problem. You will most likely need to remove any nozzle cooling fans you've installed to get to the fan screws.

Cheers,

John

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by jdg56 View Post
    Is the printer new? Have you ever taken the extruders apart? It could be crossed wires, but it could also just be accidentally swapped fans. The fans are pretty easy to swap, though you have to keep track of the little plastic spacers. Here's one video demonstration of extruder tear-down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl4w5wBiGR4 That's actually more work than you really need. If you follow the first steps in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmIY9_6s8Ss and then swap the fans and re-attach them, you'll have fixed your problem. You will most likely need to remove any nozzle cooling fans you've installed to get to the fan screws.

Cheers,

John
    Yeah, the printer is new and has not been taken apart. So you think the right fan should be running?

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Yes, right for right and left for left. Just switch the fans.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    Yes, right for right and left for left. Just switch the fans.
    Problem with switching the fans is, the wires go up the middle. If I flip them, they will be blowing the opposite way. If I swap them, the wires won't reach the outer corner.

I'm thinking the best thing is to find the other end of the wires and swap the connections.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    The fans can be rotated so the wires are more to the middle, there is probably enough slack. Or yes, just flip the wiring on the board.

Yes this is normal, the fans are set to turn on when the extruder temperature goes 50 Celcius or higher. The extruder that isn't being used may get that hot when the other extruder is being heated and used

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    The unused extruder will only get that hot in a closed printer. Normally the unused fan will NEVER run. Mine never has.

So yep switch wires or fans over.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by jdello View Post
    Yes this is normal, the fans are set to turn on when the extruder temperature goes 50 Celcius or higher. The extruder that isn't being used may get that hot when the other extruder is being heated and used
    Wouldn't both fans be running then? I already switched the connections and it seems to be more normal now. Thanks all for suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by robosmith View Post
    Wouldn't both fans be running then? I already switched the connections and it seems to be more normal now. Thanks all for suggestions.
    Right both fans would be running since both extruders would be in temps higher than 50C... I guess i didn't quite understand your problem correctly but glad everything is working fine now