Close

FlashForge Dreamer Qs

So I am trying to print 3D spine models for our Neurosurgeons to do pre surgery on but am very new to 3D printing. I have basic questions like- I am using ABS filament 1.75mm, what temps are best to print on? I am having trouble with the filament sticking to the plate(I am using painters tape). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by K9Neuro View Post
    So I am trying to print 3D spine models for our Neurosurgeons to do pre surgery on but am very new to 3D printing. I have basic questions like- I am using ABS filament 1.75mm, what temps are best to print on? I am having trouble with the filament sticking to the plate(I am using painters tape). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    If it's ABS filament from Flashforge, the ideal extruder temperature is ~220-240C. For filament sticking problems, there's several solutions:

1. Using glass plate
    2. Using sticky surface from either Buildtak or Flashforge
    3. Use kapton tape.

The sticky surface works best and is a pretty cost-effective solution. Glass plate works well but you may have to spray some hair spray for your prints to stick.

Hope this helps!
    Need immediate assistance? Please give us a call at toll-free 1.855.243.9838 / international: 1.626.322.3855 M-F 9:00am - 5:00pm PST | E-mail: supports@flashforge-usa.com | FlashForge YouTube Channel

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    use a raft.
    I could never get abs to work without a raft. It's just not that sticky.

With a raft, I had no problems. Well a bit of warping and the shrinkage issue. But abs does print ok with a raft.

The best solution would be to get some pla and some pet tape.
    pla sticks better to blue tape - but it's much much easier to remove from pet tape.
    Also with pla and pet tape print a little hotter than with blue tape. I find I'm printing 5-10c hotter with pet tape and pla, than I do with blue tape and pla.

But there's less warping and shinier bases :-)

For ABS - grab a glass plate. Put a bit of washable glue stick on the glass surface, and your prints won't budge. Let it cool down when finished, then you'll easily be able to remove the finished work. Blue Painter's tape is meant for PLA builds. When I want to switch to PLA, I just add the painters tape to the glass surface, and again, use the same glue stick. I got this glass plate from Amazon - fits perfectly on the Dreamer's plate. http://goo.gl/8iFc8n
    A bit pricey, but worth it. Conducts heat evenly, and the glass is thick. With any glass plate for Dreamer, you'll need to print a small plastic wedge from Thingiverse. It easily snaps on the base of the Z axis bar, that way the sensor accommodates the plate's new height due to the glass. Without this wedge, your nozzles would collide with the surface not realizing there is now a 1/4 glass present.