Close

Odd result using Simplify3D and FlashForge Creator Pro

I think this has more to do with the software part of this. I've printed lots of items but I've never seen this before. Using Simplify3D, I drop a file into the window where I can see what the model is and it looks correct. The first time I printed it it only printed the bottom part of the model. After reloading the model and going into Preview mode, I saw that it wasn't the printer stopping prematurely but that the bottom part was all it was going to print in the first place. I tried rotating the model in a few directions and checking the Preview and found that it was missing different parts each time depending on which way it was rotated. It appears that something is getting lost when I click the Prepare to Print button. I've never seen this before. It seems specific to the model. Anyone have any ideas?

Printer nozzle size / extrusion width compared to thickness you're trying to print??

It will not print a width less than the above parameters I have found.

2 questions :
    1/ Have you checked the model to ensure it is not damaged (Netfabb) ?
    2/ Have you checked the box saying "start at height XX" or "Stop at height YY" ?

If it's not that ... try posting a preview and some parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by navzptc View Post
    Printer nozzle size / extrusion width compared to thickness you're trying to print??

It will not print a width less than the above parameters I have found.
    This appears to be the issue My nozzle diameter is .40. If I set the extrusion width to .20, the preview shows a complete model. Of course, it wouldn't print correctly but it tried! Is there a way to get around this or does the model itself have to be manipulated?

You can either change the nozzle or use the layer width multiplier, it's a % on one of the tabs. Never tried it.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    why would you set the extrusion width to less then the nozzle size ?
    That's patently an impossible task for the printer.

You can extrude slightly wider than the nozzle, but not less.

Also s3d has it's own built in fixing and checking software. Try those first.

Also if you do get a smaller diameter nozzle. Remember to slow the print right down and up the filament temp a little to make it easier to go through the smaller nozzle.

What software are you using to generate the model ?