Close

Add GameProps on Facebook Add GameProps on Thingiverse

Angry XYZPrinting Contest Complaint

So about a month ago XYZPrinting started a contest on Facebook for a DaVinci XYZ AiO 1.0 3D Printer, telling people to post their models to get votes and have a chance to win a 3D Printer, on the 15th the contest ended and the winner was going to be announced on the 18th, it was pushed back to the 20th and not actually announced until the 21st.

The finalists were my Judge Dredd Lawgiver, a Tiki Screwdriver design, a Sound Horn, a Nimoy Tribute and a 20 Sided Die. The winner selected by the XYZPrinting page was the 20 Sided die, which an hour before the contest ended it didn't have more than 30 votes on it, I don't recall the amount of shares it had but it was low.

The Lawgiver and the Screwdriver fought over votes until the end, nearing 200 votes the last time I checked which was about an hour before midnight when the contest was due to end. The Screwdriver had about 18 shares with the Lawgiver having 35. As for the Sound Horn and the Nimoy Tribute they both had a lot of votes but not as many as the Lawgiver or the Screwdriver entry.

So the winner was announced as jlambe15, Joe Lambert, or as his Facebook page was titled Joe Assdnee. I would say you could try to find his Facebook page now but it was deleted. The only person I could tell that was trying to get votes for him was his brother Julian Lambert. But that could very well be due to other people sharing it only with friends instead of the public. His other entries were a hair pick, a couple coffee designs, the D20, a toy bullet, Millennium Falcon turret, and a couple other small objects. So the only way this person could have possibly won was because of the amount of models they entered.

So I've come to believe that the contest was a fluke, sham, a way for XYZPrinting to get likes for their page without having to give anything away. Or they just did a very poor job with judging. All the other entries had a lot more creativity, and complexity not counting votes. The rules of the contest were that entries would be judged on the # of models entered, votes and shares received, and before they closed the contest page I think it was also judged on creativity and complexity as well.

This is the page for XYZPrinting
    https://www.facebook.com/XYZprinting

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    commiserations mate.

But having 'helped' mates out on one of these public vote type contests, on more than one occasion, I can categorically tell you that they are %100 unfair and usually rigged by the person with the most unscrupulous mates.

Just sounds like you were out-cheated.
    Well technically it's not cheating, if the rules allow multiple votes from one person or mass recruitment of people who don't even know you.

Fair play doesn't get a look in.

Don't suppose there's any way to prove the person who won works for xyz ?
    'cos that would usually be automatic disqualification.

So is the lawgiver an actual made model or just a digital design.
    And which model is it ?
    Doesn't look like any I'm familiar with from 2000ad.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Complain to facebook. If it is a scam, they could get XYZ's page shutdown. And for a company who's trying to be a legitimate contender in the market, that's a huge loss. There are federal (US) laws regarding such contests and if it is a scam, there could be other consequences, so Facebook would have some interest in investigation.

Senior Engineer
    Personally I think that anyone who thinks that any gambling / competition on the Internet is going to be fair is either an extremely nice person or extremely naive.

Maybe I am an old cynic.

Aardvark, wasn't possible to vote on a single entry more than once unless you did a workaround set up a new FB account just to get an extra vote. Regardless this person only had about 30 votes at the end of the contest against 2 entries that had near 200. Even more convenient is that if you now look at the XYZPrinting page on the post announcing the winner it shows 29 comments made, which there were last night, and they deleted a lot of the negative comments about the contest being rigged or questioning how the person won with a D20. And the Lawgiver was a digital design that was entered.

Marm the issue with filing a complaint with FB is they really could care less, I've got a friend of mine on FB that has been stalked and bullied by another person and all FB said was to block the person that can simply open a new account to continue.

Also Marm can you share those laws with me, another friend on Facebook mentioned it, but I haven't found anything.
    Last edited by GameProps; 03-23-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Wolfie unless you have something useful to contribute, I would appreciate it if you would kindly remove yourself from this discussion.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by GameProps View Post
    Wolfie unless you have something useful to contribute, I would appreciate it if you would kindly remove yourself from this discussion.
    Wish Granted.