Close

Why isn't there a MakerBot SLA or SLS printer?

Makerbot has the most popular 3D Printers on the planet, but yet to me they are using a technology that will eventually die out. I don't foresee filament based printers ended up the future of 3D Printing. It will either be SLS or SLA, with either resins or powders that will end up taking off.

Why don't we see MakerBot releasing any of these types of 3D Printers?

Well basicly i am guessing that they arent making them since there market is to the Consumers,
    If they would make a SLS or SLA printer this would be around 2-4k, wich most basic users wont buy as its to expensive,
    I am guessing thats why they didnt do the effort yet,
    But they might in the future of course,

Like you said extrusion printers wont be forever, at all, and the technique is simply hitting its limit as Extrsion type printers go.

Engineer
    ummmm, 2-4k is the same or less than what their printers are now

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    ummmm, 2-4k is the same or less than what their printers are now
    So far i know the Replicator 2X is around 1800 dollars, When a SLA printer is easily double,

When Makerbot makes one it will probably be even more then the normal price as the other printers they sell are also kinda slightly overpriced.

Engineer
    ahh i guess pricing is different in belgium. the 2x is almost $3k here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    ahh i guess pricing is different in belgium. the 2x is almost $3k here in the US.
    Well i might be wrong,
    I thought that last time i checked it was 1800 for the basic replicator 2 and 2200 for 2x?
    Oh well..

Kinda alot when you compare it to other printers, aint sure if its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLuigi View Post
    Well i might be wrong,
    I thought that last time i checked it was 1800 for the basic replicator 2 and 2200 for 2x?
    Oh well..

Kinda alot when you compare it to other printers, aint sure if its worth it.
    Replicator 2, $2199, Replicator 2X, $2799, Replicator (new one). $2899, Z18 $6499.

I'm willing to bet we will see an SLA or SLS printer from MakerBot in their next generation release.