Close

Print Bed not heating up when using Slic3r files

I am trying to use Slic3r files on my FlashForge Creator Pro but when I do, it doesn't heat the print bed.
    The config is set for 2 extruders, but I cannot find the printbead heat settings anywhere.

Anyone have ideas?

(Works fine with ReplicatorG and Makerware)

Technician
    I'm playing with using Slic3r files on the FF Pro also. Did you use the informaton in this article to set up your start/end gcode? http://www.3duniverse.org/2014/01/05...forge-creator/

The 'M109' line in the start.gcode sets the print bed temperature. I use 'M109 S60 T0' or 'M109 S50 T1' for my PLA printing, and my bed is heating up.

Are you opening your .gcode file in replicatorg to print, or are you compiling to an x3g file? I don't run windows, so I'm working on getting the files to run in replicatorg in my setup.

My current problem is that the print bed sizing is not being set correctly. I've set it the 'bed shape' section of the printer settings (X=228, y=150, which should be correct). When I try to run the print, it homes correctly, waits for the printhead/bed to heat, and then zooms off to the back corner of the bed to start printing off the end of the X-Y stops. There is some sort of multiplicative factor that I'm not seeing in either the settings or the gcode, that I have to correct for...

Cheers,

John

Yes John,

I followed that instruction twice to make sure I didn't miss any settings.
    I am new to the ol 3d printing world so the gcode is still new to me as well. I'm learning at a fast pace though now that I've joined this forum.

I don't have the problem you have with the print bed sizing. Just the bed heating issue.

As for where I am running the print from, I am using Slic3r to complie the gcode AND the x3g file. (does this when I click the create gcode button as per the gpx add on script). Which I think is awesome. I'm looking forward to relying on Slic3r for my compiling needs and getting away from ReplicatorG as it is just simply too limiting for my needs.....or maybe just my desires...but the same either way.

I just looked at the Slic3r gcode (viewing it in ReplicatorG) and I can see that it is in fact setting the bed temp to 110.
    However when I run the file on the printer (via SD card) it fails to heat up the bed. I also noticed that the 2nd extruder (left) is also not heating up when running the dual extruder profile (which was the profile I have been trying to run).

Here is a screenshot of the gcode, well the portion relating to the bed temps.

these lines are the first entries:

G21 ; set units to millimeters
    M127
    M109 S110 ; wait for bed temperature to be reached
    ;
    Then there are many commented lines (at least I think they're comments...all preceeded by a ";")
    Then these lines.

T0; set primary extruder
    M73 P0; enable show build progress
    M109 S110 T0 ; heat bed up to first layer temperature
    M104 S230 T0 ; set 1st nozzle heater to first layer temperature
    M104 S230 T1 ; set 2nd nozzle heater to first layer temperature
    M103; disable RPM

If you wish to see all the gcode I can add that, just thought I'd keep it to the relevant info.

Thanks
    Dan

NOTE: I have tracked this down to an issue between Slic3r's gcode generation and the gpx scripted x3g file creation.

the gcode shows the correct settings, but somehow when its creating the x3g file something isn't matching up.

I took the Slic3r generated gcode and opened in ReplicatorG and could see the settings correct. I then created an x3g file (in RepG) and it seems to be heating up corretly.

We'll see if it prints correctly.
    Last edited by Danno; 03-21-2015 at 01:47 PM. Reason: added in detail about gpx

Technician
    I'm glad to see you've got a handle on it.

I figured out that the x-y offset issue I was seeing was, in some ways, a matter of semantics. A lot of the forums/discussions that I found referred to setting the 'print center' to 0-0, because it was defaulting to '100-100' in the slic3r settings. Apparently, that was mostly for older versions of slic3r. The newer versions seem to use 'print origin'. I set that to the middle of the print bed (x=114, y=75, on the FFPro), and now it's printing exactly where I expect it to.

I think I have a bit more playing to do. The Stanford Bunny I just finished has more noticeable layer lines than the stock skeinforge bunny, with essentially the same settings.

Cheers,

John

Cool.

I've found that in the GPX code which creates the x3g file has some settings that tell it to ignore the gcode settings.
    I think they are for some printers that need to operate independently of the script...

Anyway the code is the problem..so for now I'm just using Slic3r to create the gcode, and I'll use RepG to convert it to x3g for the sdcard.

Thanks for your help.

Technician
    Yeah, that's my plan RepG is fine as a gcode driver. I'm not even going to worry too much about slic3r for more simple prints; skeinforge does a decent-enough job. But the supports on slic3r are MUCH nicer than the skeinforge ones, even after I did my tinkering.

I just loaded up a spool of MicroCenter gold filament. The Inland brand. I'm very happy with it. I'm getting smooth prints.

Cheers,

John

I intend to figure this out with Slic3r since it gives me use of both extruders even on single color prints. I intend to use the second extruder for support material such as HIPS or PVA (soluble filaments).

Technician
    I'll be interested in any information you can share about that idea, using the other extruder for support material. I have run a couple of prints today, and the slic3r files are working quote well when printed through replicatorG.

Cheers,

John