Close

Makerbot 5th gen issues

Hello
    Since yesterday, after updating to the current desktop and firmware versions, I've been having problem after problem on the makerbot 5th gen printer. It started yesterday, with error 16 - extruder carraige is disconnected. I googled (better than makerbot support), and found that sometimes shutting down and restarting makes the problem go away. I did just that. Again - same problem. So I set my printer to factory settings, and then my desktop stopped recognizing my printer even with USB, I could not get the printer on my wifi, so there was no connectivity to either my laptop or the internet. Frustration set in and I switched the printer off.
    Today, in the morning, I restarted the printer, and it started working nice, as if there had been no problem. I started a print, and went out. When I came back, there was the error that the extruder itself was detached, when it was not. I re-attached it, and resumed the print. This happened 2-3 times more, before the print was complete. Then I started another print, and this time I got the error toolhead command tx failure error 1008. Again, restart. Then I heard a noise, and went to check in. I saw the extruder lying away somewhere on the plate. So I attached the extruder again, and restarted the print this time. But with this print, the extruder comes loose itself every now and then.
    Any help would be appreciated. I have opened a support ticket with makerbot too.
    thanks

Technician
    Hi
    I would start on the begining with first error: 16: Carriage Disconnected
    Your Carriage flat cable should be checked out, reconnect maybe. Even carriage electronics could be damaged.
    In any case, this is not likely to be result of latest FW updates.
    Your printer should be inspected by Makerbot service.
    Continue Only after you are sure there is no problem with this side.

If extruder is connected properly then it will not fall off just like that.
    Do some printing and observe while in progress.

Good luck
    Roberto

I'm not sure which 5th gen you have. I purchased the 5th gen replicator when it first came out ..long story short I returned it due to clog after clog after clog. Apparently they fixed some things so I just bought the z18 and its awesome. 50-60 even 70 hours prints w/o a single issue...HOWEVER the second I updated the firmware I had issue after issue. I downgraded back to 1.6.1 and no issues. Also you can print out a clip to hold your extruder on...this way it won't fall off again. Like I said I am not sure which 5th gen you have but if it's a Z18 this should work.

I noticed that our extruder that did not have the swivel guide tube would sometimes disconnect itself from what seemed like the filament guide tube hitting the lid of the printer. So we took the lid off and it solved the problem. our new extruders have the swivel guide and I don't get disconnect errors anymore. You can also try the clip Elbruju mentioned although I feel like that caused more of a problem than it fixed.
    Not sure about your other problems.