Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Recommendations for best glue for PLA and ABS?

I now use acetone slurry for ABS but dont trust it to have adequate strength for parts under stress. I also know it won't work for PLA.
    Any suggestions appreciated.

Superglue.

Superglue.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    uhu all purpose clear glue

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    uhu all purpose clear glue
    I don't think he is talking about sticking to build plate. It sounds like gluing pieces together. Slurry works but you gotta work fast and have some way of keeping it from shifting while it sets up. Superglue is good also.

and I use uhu all purpose clear glue to glue bits of plastic together :-)
    It uses a solvent so you almost get a weld effect with pla and abs. Plus it's cheap, clear and dries really quick. Much better than superglue which sets hard and is very brittle. uhu allows a little flex in the glued parts.

It will bond pla with just about everything and you only need a small amount.
    Most solvent based multipurpose clear glues are the same - I just happen to be getting uhu from the poundshop at the moment.

You certainly wouldn't want to use it on a build plate.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Hmm, I have seen the UHU stuff associated with using on the build plate to get parts to stick. I think mostly with glass plates. I never considered it as a permanent adhesive, just more like a glue stick which typically is a pretty weak glue.

Engineer
    A solvent bond will always be the stongest way to glue plastics. For a one glue does them all the weldon #4 is the way to go. The solvent will melt abs, pla and most all plastics we print with except nylon. You can get it on amazon with needle applicator bottles. If your looking for an actual glue then a methylmethacrylate based plastic bonder will be the best. Something like plexus ma310, dupont corian adhesive, etc. these are all permanant bond adhesives where you will have substrate failure before the glue joint lets go.

Sheesh - clear glue IS NOT A GLUE STICK.
    Read the words.

Follow lucidpsykosis On Twitter Add lucidpsykosis on Thingiverse
    I use Wolf Bite...my prints never come off. I'm just one of those few who can't get hairspray and glue to get ABS to stick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast