Quote Originally Posted by Bakamoichigei View Post
As best as I can figure, a lot of it has to do with design and production considerations they made. Such as the choice of using inexpensive geared steppers with custom gears... ​(As detailed in one of the updates) They're quick and accurate, but I guess maybe it required them to make the end effector as light as possible? To that end, they've got a titanium nozzle which is light and dissipates heat so well that it doesn't really need much in the way of a heatsink or a heat break or anything-- there isn't even a fan on the hotend, it's passively cooled! --further reducing weight, as well as component count and assembly costs. Then there's the fact that the linear rails are molded into the unibody frame, which also saves costs in basically every aspect of production. (Parts, tooling, assembly...) It seems they put a lot of thought into how to get the costs as low as possible so they could offer it at that price. But yeah, only time will really tell.
I would agree that most of it seems well thought and I really look forward to seeing how this develops.

However there are some items on which I really have doubts, namely :
- passive cooling in a close enclosure ? I hope there won't be heat creep issues during long prints.
- machined titanium : tricky limitations and not cheap.
- custom gears : not cheap.
- rails molded into the frame. Nice trick, but if it turns out you need modifications, this kind of stuff can really be a pain.